Rickb
Mozilla Dev Team is considering using XOOPS
  • 2004/10/26 1:34

• Rickb

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/10/24

The Mozilla Dev Needs help for creating a Mozilla portal

eiPRoject is producing a Mozilla portal exposition for the Mozilla Foundation. The exhibits will be created as Flash and Quicktime movies with audio. Firefox, Thunderbird and the Mozilla suite will each have their separate virtual booths.

eiProject is assessing the possibilities of creating a portal incorporating templates for these exhibits using XOOPS as a CMS and portal.

Our workforce is 100 percent volunteer. We are creating a world-class virtual show pulling out all the stops. If would like to become part of ouir team please register at the development site:

http://eiproject.net/phpbb2_dev/viewtopic.php?p=936#936

Best regards,

Rick Blanc
Senior Developer

lavaburst
Re: Mozilla Dev Team is considering using XOOPS
  • 2004/10/26 5:15

• lavaburst

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/13

Thats great!

If you guys need some custom module development, let me know. Id be happy to offer my XOOPS module development skills to the cause.

Cheers,

LavaBurst

limecity
Re:Mozilla Dev Team is considering using XOOPS
  • 2004/10/26 6:17

• limecity

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/7/6 0

Cool.. Mozilla portal...

btw whats with mozilla and internet explorer?
ain't internet explorer just working fine browsing the web?
it looks great and neat for most sites, when using internet explorer.

When using mozilla, some sites look distorted and looks like a 10 year old trying to make a website.

Why is it Mozilla browser can't read webpages like how IE reads it?

Rickb
  • 2004/10/26 6:40

• Rickb

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:

limecity wrote:

When using mozilla, some sites look distorted and looks like a 10 year old trying to make a website.

Why is it Mozilla browser can't read webpages like how IE reads it?

Go to our development site and read the Mozilla News, it answers those questions. The source is ZDnet / Cnet.

Rick

P.S I would like to keep this thread focused on recruiting help for the Mozilla project.

MadFish
  • 2004/10/26 6:46

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

The difference is between doing things the *right* way or doing them the *Microsoft* way. M$ has little respect for standards, preferring to use their dominance to 'proprietize' things as much as possible (other people would use a somewhat harsher term). Its true that IE is by far the dominant browser so many people don't worry about cross-browser compatibility, they just build their sites to look ok in IE.

So when you say sites look like they were created by a 10-year old in Mozilla, this usually reflects on the efforts of the people that designed the site, rather than on the Mozilla browser.

limecity
  • 2004/10/26 6:59

• limecity

• Friend of XOOPS

No offence here but i just don't quite understand.
How do you define standards in creating a webpage?
Its like Mozilla has the lack of ability to read the coding of the sites compared to IE.

Remember the webdesigners last time.
on the very first page of the website
[click here if you using IE]//[click here if you using Netscape]

Yes we would very much like it if out sites are cross-browser friendly. I know sometimes i design a site, it would look great on my IE. then a customer called up saying the site distorted like crap. As he is using Netscape.

There are tonnes of web browsers out there. maybe we need to do this for us not savvy webdesigners/

[click here if you using IE6]
[click here if you using IE5]
[click here if you using mozilla]
[click here if you using netscape]
[click here if you using opera]

The fact that not all webdesigners understands how Coding will work in Mozilla and what they will read and what they can't read. In what way they are able to read the codings. We don't know. All we know is the site looks ok in IE thats all.

again i have no offence here but just seeking understanding.

Rickb
  • 2004/10/26 7:10

• Rickb

• Not too shy to talk

May I kindly ask if we can keep the subject focused on getting help for the Mozilla project. You may continue this subject on a dedicated thread.

Rick

Mithrandir

www.w3c.org defines standards for web pages and HTML in general.

MicroSoft has not been very interested in following standards defined by others, but they seem to be picking it up, albeit a bit late, with such things as Office documents being saved in XML format and IE conforming more to w3c standards.

The main problem is that HTML can be written in many ways and in order to make it as easy as possible to write HTML that displays correctly, MS did a lot of work to make the IE a "forgiving" browser that allowed a lot of "shortcuts" to be taken - which can be good, but showed not to be.

In programming, rigid rules are quite often to be preferred over flexibility.

Now, let's get back to the XOOPS topic and off the browser topic. I am very pleased to see XOOPS being considered for this project and would help if I had the time, but for now all I can say is that the xoops.org forums is the place to ask for help - loads of helpful users here, willing to give you a push in the right direction.

vinit
  • 2004/10/26 7:25

• vinit

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/1/10

Mozilla Meets Mambo
http://eiproject.net/phpbb2_dev/viewtopic.php?t=153

Rick is it XOOPS or Mambo ????
Could you be more clear in what you are trying to achieve???

limecity
  • 2004/10/26 7:26

• limecity

• Friend of XOOPS

sorry Rickb, don't mean to hijacked your topic.

Mozilla Dev Team is considering using XOOPS?
i am pretty sure XOOPS members and moderators will very please and happy with it.

Login

Who's Online

168 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 168

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits