wykedorg
Relocated to new host - unable to connect to database
  • 2004/10/15 16:21

• wykedorg

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/3/8 1

I recently relocated to a new host.

I packed up old database (gzipped) dropped it on the new host in phpMyAdmin.

NOTE: Not sure if I packed it right, not sure if it unpacked right. I can see tables, they appear to be the same.

NOTE: Old database name was "clandestine" new database requires prefixes ie: "knight_clandestine" same goes for username.

I transferred orig. files over to new host. Edited mainfile.php to reflect new database name, username and password.

Now every time I attempt to access the site, I get this:

This page cannot be displayed due to an internal error.

If you are the administrator of this site, please visit the XOOPS Troubleshooting Page for assistance.

Error [Xoops]: Unable to connect to database in file class/database/databasefactory.php line 34

Now... The following page called "Xoops Troubleshooting Page" seems to be of absolutely no value in this case. It doesnt even provide a solution for this type of problem!

Am I doing something wrong? Am I missing something? Does the old database need packed a certain way, (What are the settings in EXPORT), does it need to be UNPACKED a certain way? Is there a file I'm missing that needs to be altered?

I will be ever so grateful to whoever can provide THE solution to my problem. I have 3 other sites that need to be transferred ASAP, and I don't even want to attempt them until I resolve the issue with the first one.

Someone please provide assistance.

ADDITIONAL NOTES: I even attempted to delete all orig. files, install new instance of xoops. I still get the same page.

I tried finding another topic with same problem. Some others have gotten this page after relocating, but issues seemed to differ slightly. Enough so, that an answer was not found. If I missed the appropriate post, please let me know.

Mithrandir
Re: Relocated to new host - unable to connect to database

The problem is that XOOPS cannot connect to the database - it has nothing to do with the files or the database contents.

Double-check that the mainfile.php content is correct and try using a manual database tool to connect to the database.

wykedorg
  • 2004/10/15 16:41

• wykedorg

• Just popping in

Any preferred tools for suggestion? Thanx.

Stewdio
Re:Relocated to new host - unable to connect to database
  • 2004/10/15 16:45

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

Some hosts will not allow for other tools to connect to the database, but one suggestion I can offer is to try and install a simple script that makes use of the DB. If that cant connect either, then you may have a problem on the host end of things and may need to contact them about it.

Mithrandir

A brief search on google for "MySQL remote management" gave me this:http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6329_11-5104013.html

It describes a program, which is available for trial - but since you just need it to verify the database connectivity, it should be fine.

wykedorg
  • 2004/10/15 17:12

• wykedorg

• Just popping in

Ok, I installed a new instance of xoops. Check this out.

http://www.clanmagazine.com/mag turns up cannot be found.

http://clanmagazine.knightvisionstudios.com/mag/ shows it exists and was installed, however images are not found.

I logged in and got again "not found".

I'm almost certain now its the host, what's your thoughts?

dkroft
  • 2004/10/22 22:50

• dkroft

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

i am having the same issue -
i ssh'ed to the new server,
i am using mysqlcc (downloadable from mysql.com)
and can connect to the MySQL server from the webserver.
i turned on debugging, but still no luck.

figured it out.

buried in the MySQL server log, the version incompatibility - the apache-php-mysql client was 3.23 and the mysql-server was 4.x and was begin rejected.

this link helped get it going.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Old_client.html

chrisis
  • 2004/10/23 20:04

• chrisis

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/2 2

I'm getting this error as well. However, going into MySQL from the console, when I try to set the db password using OLD_PASSWORD('somepassword'); I get a syntax error. However the line is copy/pasted from the MySQL manual.

Turns out I have MySQL 4.0.x and not 4.1 -- which is where the new password scheme is used.

I have checked and rechecked my mainfile.php, my paths, my database name/user/password and nothing else makes a difference. I REALLY want to upgrade my live site to newbb2 but I am terrified of doing so without having a working backup.

If anyone could help I would be forever grateful.

chrisis
  • 2004/10/23 20:10

• chrisis

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/2 2

Here's another clue: a couple of weeks ago an installation of XOOPS on the same box just stopped working. I made no changes etc to the db/server software as far as I can recall (it's a box that just sits there, I hardly ever touch it).

/edit: ok I am beginning to figure it out. I went and checked out my mainfile.php for my local site's xoops. I checked the database details in there, and wtf! That db doesn't exist! So then I renamed that mainfile.php to mainfile.php-test and tried to access my backup site. ERROR! Can't find all sorts of things.

So it looks like MY problem is to do with virtual hosts on that box. All along I have been loading the default site in htdocs, instead of the site in my backup folder.

Well, since I didn't have a db to feed the htdocs installation of xoops, I just copied my backup site's files over that. Load up my default site and BINGO! -- there's my backup! Yay!

Login

Who's Online

197 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 197

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits