LazyBadger
Re:Xoops vs Mambo

Quote:

aerialis wrote:
Does anybody know if the Mambo Admin works in Opera?.

At least Mambo's 4.5 (1.09) in Opera 7.50 (build 3778) works for me

LazyBadger

Quote:

sbkiller wrote:
Everything is true you guys said, but XOOPS doesn't have the extended blocks or multi blocks right?

Because it uses (from my poor and short experience) more fundamental and logical basis of rights separation and aggragation - it operates on levels of module-block-usergroup, not at level "this user and this pice of HTML-code". Mambo's user-rights concept is more ecletical and limited - even adding new categories must be done by hack.
From other side - I like idea of "inline editing" on page allowed to edit conent and can see in in XOOPS (in core and in reviwed and used modules), but, probably, I miss something

LazyBadger

Quote:

sbkiller wrote:
There's some extension plugin for Dreamweaver for developing theme with the Mambo code (let say just like smarty code).
A-ha... I must run and use this monster (I have it anyway, but for XOOPS themes good text editor is enougth most time). I can preview theme without big problem outside DW... can not in Mambo case

intel352
  • 2004/10/4 17:35

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

i very much like mambo, and i also like the fact that i've been able to setup a network of sites running off of one installation of mambo, sharing the userbase and forums (SimpleBoard)

there's a couple of nice components for mambo (modules in XOOPS world) that are lacking from the XOOPS community, and vice versa. i like all the 'eye candy' of mambo, because i want a site that will look kickass to my userbase.

but like several have stated, coding for XOOPS seems to be a much better process. file structure/layout is much smarter and organized, and working in the mambo community and whatnot seems to be a bit of a hassle for me (their community sites don't seem cohesive enough, seem too broken up, whereas i have no problem going between XOOPS and dev.xoops to find what i need)

there's definitely some things XOOPS needs to learn from mambo tho, such as the eye-candy factor, as well as the wysiwyg, file/image manager, etc.

and the mambots are nice, kinda like hooks i reckon. they work well for me, and it's nice to have a 'mambot' that will replace specified text with whatever i want.

aaaanywho, i've been building that multi-site network that i spoke of, but i'm not sure that i will continue working on it, because i can't find a *good* gallery software that i like, in mambo (Gallery gives me issues when i try to integrate it)

not sure yet, because we've put alot of work into these sites.

LazyBadger

Quote:

bd_csmc wrote:
i very much like mambo, and i also like the fact that i've been able to setup a network of sites running off of one installation of mambo, sharing the userbase and forums

At least sharing tables from one common base is possible with Xoops-module now... nor a big deal hack it to work even over TCP/IP

And I must to agree, Mambo's themes (nothing beside it) are more attractive for my user's eyes (comparision was done over 65/86 public themes)

ackbarr

If those themes are released with an Open copyright (GPL, Creative Commons) there is nothing preventing someone to port those themes to XOOPS as well (*wink*)

jurgis
  • 2004/10/6 2:15

• jurgis

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/3/20

Login

Who's Online

204 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 204

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits