tedsmith
Unsure how to change certain parts of blocks and pages
  • 2004/9/26 18:38

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

I've just got my wife to give a critical review of my site as a novice Internet user as opposed to us more experienced Xoopers. Her complaints about my site were as follows :

1) The 'Register Now!' line in the Login Block needs to be bigger, and preferably a different colour so it is easier to see.

2) In the 'New User' Registration page, she said it would be better if it said 'Choose Password' instead of just 'Password'.

3) The fonts of the entire site is too small so anyone with sight difficulty would find it hard to read.

4) Lastly, she said it would be better if some of the module links in the Main Menu could be different colours instead of all the same so particular ones stood out.

Problem is, I don't know how to change any of these settings! I use the Zaja-System theme, and have looked at the style.css file and theme.html file. I have also scrolled through the values in language\english\user.php, language\english\global.php and include\registerform.php with no joy.

The closest I got was line 91 of global.php where it says define('_PASSWORD','Password: '); but when I changed the value to 'Select Password' and uploaded the changed version I saw no change when I went to the 'Register Now' area so I am assuming that value is not for that page so I changed it back for now.

I've also tried to look at the specific module blocks such as the User Menu block to see if I can change the title colour. I can change the title OK, but not the colour of it.

Can anyone help me with any of these 4 'complaints'? Which files and which lines do I change for this, and is it possible? The most important one is changing the colour of the module titles in the main site menu. I know its real 'Bread & Butter' stuff but I've spent most of my time on the functionality of the site rather than the smaller details that I now want to pay attention to. Thanks a lot.

Ted

JackJ
Re: Unsure how to change certain parts of blocks and pages
  • 2004/9/26 21:58

• JackJ

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/8/31

Just noticed your post, nice site

I assume you are have cloned the template, or your theme comes with its own template. Blocks are handled by XOOPS templates, and if you look at the relevant template in system-admin templates you will find and identify any relevant calls to the classes in the style.css in your themes folder. See XOOPS for dummies and the themes section for cloning advice, you can't edit the default template.

Qu Number 1

system admin-blocks, look for the "login"" block, click "edit" to the right. and look for "edit template". Near the bottom you will see:

<a href="<{$xoops_url}>/register.php"><{$block.lang_registernow}></a>

change it to something like this:

<a href="<{$xoops_url}>/register.php"><font size="4" color="#FF0000"><{$block.lang_registernow}></font></a>

I will look into the other questions and be back later

QU 2 language/english/user.php

QU 3 fonts for the entire site are defined usually at the top of the style.css like this:

body {background-color: #fcfcfc; color: #000000; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; font-family: "Trebuchet MS",Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; margin: 0px; padding: 0px;}

Individual local font definitions in blocks etc overide this setting. Remember that the definitions for the links in blocks are hyperlinks so look for this kind that start with an "a":

td#mainmenu a {background-color: #E0E0E0; margin: 0; border-top: 1px solid #F2F1F2; border-bottom: 1px solid #ADACAD; padding: 0;}
td#mainmenu a:hover {background-color: #D1D0D1;text-decoration: none;}

you can add a color definition like this if it does not exist.

color: #FF0000;

Some themes use images for the backgrounds colors for the titles, these are often defined in the style sheet as a url link to the image, and you may in this instance need to change the image color itself before you see any changes.

I have not looked at zaja system yet, I hope this points you in the right direction anyway.

tedsmith
Re: Unsure how to change certain parts of blocks and pages
  • 2004/9/27 18:20

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

Thank you so much Jack. That was really helpful. With the exception of individual module title links, I have done everything now (changed size and colour of 'Register Now' and the site font size). Not yet sussed out the individual block settings but with what you have said above, once I get some more time I should fatham it out.

Thanks again

Ted

Login

Who's Online

248 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 248

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits