Rednecktek
Information above NEWS like xoops.org
  • 2004/9/23 15:40

• Rednecktek

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/14

I am going insane trying to get a layout similar to the xoops.org site. On the front page (in order) is "Welcome to XOOPS official website!", which appears to be a custom block. Below are other news and forum blocks AND THEN news entires.

I've tried multiple ways to get a custom block to reside above my news items (my default module), without success.

If one of the admins is listening, it might be helpful to know how you have laid-out xoops.org.

sbkiller
Re: Information above NEWS like xoops.org
  • 2004/9/23 15:58

• sbkiller

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/6/9 2

Hello,

What do you mean?

The order?

Go into your theme and replace the block

Design layout?

Go edit style.css in your theme

or

edit your clone templates.

webthese
  • 2004/9/23 16:08

• webthese

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/8 1

you must edit style.css and custom blocs...

Rednecktek
  • 2004/9/23 16:11

• Rednecktek

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/14

Please do not be offended, but I really don't believe hand-editing files is necessary to get what I'm looking for here. Maybe I didn't explain myself correctly:

What I want is a custom block to appear at the top/center of the front page of my website with news items below. For example:

CUSTOM BLOCK
NEWS ITEM 1
NEWS ITEM 2
NEWS ITEM 3
ETC.

I have a custom block and have set NEWS to be my default module, however no matter what weight I assign my custom block, it always appears below the news items.

sbkiller
  • 2004/9/23 16:24

• sbkiller

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/6/9 2

It's BeCaUsE you need to edit the theme.html to move the block to the top.

That what you have to do. You need hand editing, that's what webmaster are! Can't depend everything with a XOOPS admin area.

JackJ
  • 2004/9/23 16:28

• JackJ

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/8/31

I think he might want to know where to edit the theme, can be a bit tricky..

Most themes default to showing custom blocks at the top, Your theme.html might be set to show blocks below the modules, the code would need to be altered, which theme are you using and I might be able to help further?

See this thread here, although this one was for someone who wanted custom blocks below the modules, the principle is the same though:

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=22516&forum=7#forumpost107788

This code in theme.html is the code that determines where the custom blocks apppear:

<div id="content">
<{$xoops_contents}>
</div>

JasonMR
  • 2004/9/23 16:58

• JasonMR

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/6/21

I believe your "problem" is, that you have selected news to appear on your front page.

Instead, when selecting blocks, choose the NEWS block. Under preferences, slect "none" for module to appear on top page/home page/font page (not sure about the wording).

The module you select to appear on your home page, will overweigh other blocks, and therefore always be displayd, right at the top of the page.

You are right. DON'T TOUCH THE THEME FOR THIS!!!!

Login

Who's Online

230 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 230

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits