ideagot
if xoops & mambo can integrate, it will be more powerful.
  • 2004/9/21 7:20

• ideagot

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/4/16

xoops is good at group(access level) ,etc.
mambo is good at section(article) and custom menu.

if XOOPS & mambo can integrate, it will be more powerful.

Aidus
Re: if xoops & mambo can integrate, it will be more powerful.
  • 2004/9/21 7:45

• Aidus

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/21

Xoops is XOOPS and Mambo is Mambo :))

Herko
  • 2004/9/21 7:53

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Quote:

ideagot wrote:
xoops is good at group(access level) ,etc.
mambo is good at section(article) and custom menu.

if XOOPS & mambo can integrate, it will be more powerful.

Mambo is a lot of eyecandy and features, while XOOPS is strong OO coding. Try hacking Mambo and compare it to adding a feature to XOOPS

Herko

chapi
  • 2004/9/21 8:16

• chapi

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2002/1/22

But with the custom menu he is right! This is really needed if XOOPS will be called a Content Management System in the future. Hopefully such a feature can be integrated with 2.1.

Mithrandir

I have thought about that, Chapi, but don't really see why it has to be in the core. The tools are there to build a module with a block, which can be customised to suit your needs.

What we perhaps should go into is making a new block area for a horisontal bar with special CSS aimed at listing links next to each others instead of below each others.

MadFish
  • 2004/9/21 9:33

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Would *love* a horizontal nav bar. We added one to our site but like most things we hack its a bit ermmm...ugly !

Bassman
  • 2004/9/21 9:51

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/5/23

There's a few nice themes about with horizontal navbars coded in, but it would be nice to have it as a standard inclusion :)

JMorris
  • 2004/9/21 11:59

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

I thought about hacking the admin menu to work as a horizontal nav bar for my new site, but time constraints forced me into using flash. I too would like to see a dynamic horizontal nav bar option, but it's not what I consider a major requirement. If I need a horizontal nav bar bad enough, I'll make it myself with either html/css, dhtml, or flash.

Integrate XOOPS and Mambo?! Blasphemy!

jegelstaff

A good observation. XOOPS really isn't a CMS in the sense of managing content on a site. You might use WF-Sections or TinyD or some other module to do that. XOOPS is a framework within which to build applications that make use of the good security, groups, permissions, themes, etc, systems that XOOPS provides.

Mambo is definitely good at handling publishing workflow out of the box.

We have clients that need to do both. We have a XOOPS module on the drawing board that will provide traditional CMS workflow controls for static content that resides inside XOOPS, and probably also for static content that resides outside XOOPS on another website hosted in the same domain.

Essentially, you would use XOOPS as your private, internal website for knowledge sharing and collaboration, and XOOPS would also be the control panel for managing the content in your public website.

Sound cool? Don't get too excited, it's still vapourware, and we have no idea whether it would be released publically, and whether it would be GPL'd even if it were released.

If others know of full publishing workflow management modules for XOOPS, I'd love to hear about it. But so far I have uncovered none.

--Julian

P.S. Mithy, a horizontal block option would ROCK.

intel352
  • 2004/9/21 16:45

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

i've just recently begun working with mambo in-depth, and i like it. some of the code that i've looked at, seems like a bit of a cross between php-nuke and XOOPS style coding, with strong separation of logic and content (reminds me of xoops) in some of the modules (not all, varies depending on author), as well as more straightforward programming (non-class, non-OO)(reminds me of php-nuke)

tho i will say, almost every single module i've looked into (excuse me, they're called components in the mambo world) seems to have at least 1 class existing, which is pretty nifty as well.

and i do agree, while mambo is weak in the user-management area, it's very useful for putting out content. i'm also pleased with the themes/templates that i've been finding for it, as well.

i now have dual loyalties

and i was just saying the other day, that combining the 2 cmses would be nice

Login

Who's Online

140 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 140

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits