stuie200
email Activation problem using Xoops
  • 2004/9/16 17:18

• stuie200

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/1/4 2

I am havnig a problem with the new user account activation email that gets sent from XOOPS for a new user to activate their account

My host has upgraded to the latest version of cPanel and along with that it installs "phpsuexec", I will quote below what my host has to say about this problem

"This will most likely be caused by the program trying to send email using the nobody account which is blocked. I would first of all try a new install as a test (I have tried this with no difference) but if that still does not work contact the developer and tell them that we are using phpsuexec and suexec respectively."

What does this mean and is there anything I can do to resolve this as I now have new accounts being automatically being activated and not having the email address confirmed.

Thanks to everybody that replys.

tedsmith
Re: email Activation problem using Xoops
  • 2004/9/16 17:25

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

Perhaps I am been dumb here, but you say you are having a problem with the user account activation emails, but you have not said what the problem actually is? Are they not getting sent? Are they going somewhere else?

wcrwcr
  • 2004/9/16 17:32

• wcrwcr

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/12/12

Hey stuie

I didn?t know this app/extesion

The only problem that i had with email activation was a long delay due to a huge lane on the server. It tooks about 24 hours to be sent.

I did a search on google and take a look what i found

http://www.google.com/search?hl=es&ie=UTF-8&q=phpsuexec&btnG=B%C3%BAsqueda+en+Google&lr=

Hope this helps a bit

stuie200
  • 2004/9/16 17:35

• stuie200

• Friend of XOOPS

Whoops.... Thick moment there

The problem is that XOOPS will send me an email to MY email account stating that a new user has registered (which for reference is the same as the domain that's XOOPS is being hosted on) but the new user which has registered is not getting the activation email to confirm their new account.

tedsmith
  • 2004/9/16 17:43

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

Ok then, have you set the following feature to the following value in System Admin\Prefernces\User Info Settings ...

- Select activation type of newly registered users - Requires Activation by User (Recommended)

Seems obvious I know, but just checking...

DonXoop

Sorry to not help much with this exact problem. I should know about it since I build my own servers from source code. But I have infrequently had to deal with the issues that hosted servers deal with.

One solution if at all possible is to use the SMTP Auth method against a server that will allow outbound email once authenticated. This server can be remote but has to also protect itself from spam relay.

Your one address is working because it is in the allowed list of domains your host server is set-up for. The originating nobody@, apache@, etc is failing at the server and can also fail at the remote server if the name/domain can't be validated.

This is a problem that will get much worse in short order for many other people. Blame the spammers for this trend.

stuie200
  • 2004/9/16 18:12

• stuie200

• Friend of XOOPS

Quote:

tedsmith wrote:
Ok then, have you set the following feature to the following value in System Admin\Prefernces\User Info Settings ...

- Select activation type of newly registered users - Requires Activation by User (Recommended)

Seems obvious I know, but just checking...

I did have this set and this is how I want it but this is the problem I am having in that it isn't working so I have had to set it to auctomatic activation for now as new users dont receive the activation email

Thank for your help anyway, all help is still appreciated

wcrwcr
  • 2004/9/16 18:20

• wcrwcr

• Home away from home

Did u check the phpsuexec thing just to know what that means?

stuie200
  • 2004/9/16 18:30

• stuie200

• Friend of XOOPS

Quote:

Did u check the phpsuexec thing just to know what that means?

Yes I did and thanks for that, at least I now know what it's for even though it's still causing me problems and I just cant find a workaround at the moment for it as I dont have access to a SMTP server I can use for forwarding.

wcrwcr
  • 2004/9/16 18:44

• wcrwcr

• Home away from home

These hosting companys, arghhhhhh
There?s a lot of user here that are doing with automatic activation due to this "too much secure" hostings.

Luck

Login

Who's Online

193 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 193

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits