limecity
The problem with Norton and Xoops
  • 2004/9/16 6:08

• limecity

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/7/6 0

I am still getting lots of complain from my users regarding unable to login into my XOOPS site.

Most of them are home users and not accessing the site through any LAN or network.

Somehow i got to know the big problem is Norton. cause one of the user manage to found out what the problem was. After uninstalling Norton and he was able to access the site without any problem.

Anyone did turn off the firewalls and was able to login the site.

I am losing traffic day by day due to this Norton software. I don't use Norton software, therefore i was unable to give out instruction to my users on how to fix the problem?

I wonder if anyone got the instruction for disabling the firewall in Norton or Giving permission for the website in the Norton firewall?

PLease help. Thank you.

kiwiguy
Re: The problem with Norton and Xoops
  • 2004/9/16 8:27

• kiwiguy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/4/19

they can simply disable there firewall by right clicking on the nortons icon in there taskbar and click "disable" As for changing XOOPS to allow it welll have not heard anything about that still no answers to that big qustion I would of imagined it would of most certainly been on the cards in the last 3 updates of XOOPS hoefully it will be in the next few updates.

limecity
  • 2004/9/16 8:34

• limecity

• Friend of XOOPS

thanks for the reply..

yea i was hoping for the fixes in XOOPS to able to solve the problem with Norton..
but so far it didn't.

i'll try to ask my users to do as the instruction u gave regarding the norton. THanks.

Mithrandir

This will probably be a configuration option in XOOPS 2.2 (Xoops 2.0.x have been bugfix versions and security updates mainly and not new features)

but you can simply make the xoops_refcheck() function in include/functions.php line 137 always return true.

Ritchie
  • 2004/9/16 11:30

• Ritchie

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/1/27

Hi

Read this thread about login with Norton
How to login with Norton

JMorris
  • 2004/9/16 12:12

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Whatever you do, don't tell your users to disable their firewall! Regardless of whether your site is safe or not, hackers constantly run port sweeps on IP ranges. If your visitors are sitting there with their defenses down, a hacker could comprimise their system without them knowing it. Next thing you know, they'll be blaming your site.

limecity
  • 2004/9/16 13:51

• limecity

• Friend of XOOPS

Oh thanks for the great tip
i'll test it~

JMorris
  • 2004/9/16 13:59

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Smarty pants!

Seriously though, in my day job [PC Repair], I run into all kinds of people who don't know exactly how dangerous it is to browse without a good firewall.

Ok, I'm just p@R@n0!d

YourHelp
  • 2004/9/16 14:01

• YourHelp

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/6/9 6

Norton software does not like XOOPS at this stage

limecity
  • 2004/9/16 14:12

• limecity

• Friend of XOOPS

Lols..
seems so..
Norton doesn't like Xoops

Quote:

JMorris wrote:
Smarty pants!

Seriously though, in my day job [PC Repair], I run into all kinds of people who don't know exactly how dangerous it is to browse without a good firewall.

Ok, I'm just p@R@n0!d

Do you reckon any other firewall software besides Norton?

I wonder if Norton Antivirus comes with firewall function? you know anything about that?

Login

Who's Online

172 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 172

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits