RVirtue
Free Giveaway - New "Netquery" Needs a Home
  • 2004/9/13 22:12

• RVirtue

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/8/4 9

Anyone associated with XOOPS development interested in claiming a "homeless puppy"? :)

I've recently been exploring several CMS possiblities at work, including Xoops, of course. As part of that process, I've developed an identical (more or less) module for each and have now reached the point where I'd like to pass it on to the respective communities for whatever purpose it may possibly serve in the "public domain". My chief problem is that I can't post it for external access on our corporate servers. So it has no home at all.

Here's a brief description from the "online manual" I've included in the package:

Netquery provides users of your site with a range of common network tools, including Whois lookups, DNS queries, ICMP ping, traceroute and server port checking. Each feature can be enabled or disabled individually by the administrator. The administrator can also configure the Whois feature to specify which Whois server is associated with each domain name.ext entry and can add, modify and delete those entries in the Netquery Whois data table.

If anyone's interested, you can claim it as your own handle its public availability in whatever way you wish. (Although I would be interested in any feeedback, the "fame and glory" of authorship concerns me not at all.) Just give me an email addy or an upload destination to pass it along and it's yours.

Regards,
Richard.

kenmcd
Re: Free Giveaway - New "Netquery" Needs a Home
  • 2004/9/13 22:54

• kenmcd

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/8 1

Do you have a working module for XOOPS 2.0.7.3?

If you do have a working module, it could be uploaded to the XOOPS Dev site.

RVirtue
  • 2004/9/13 23:23

• RVirtue

• Quite a regular

Yup. All three versions that I built (for Xoops, Postnuke and Xaraya) are fully functional modules complete with installer and admin functions. And all have been running with the latest available versions of those CMSs on my test platforms here at work. The major test phase shortcoming has been a lack of *nix platforms -- our work environment being almost entirely WinXP Pro and Win 2003 servers.

But this is a complete "third-party" module, and neither a "hack" nor a "bug fix" for any existing XOOPS module. In fact, the lack of anything similar is one reason I thought it would make a good experiment. So I didn't think my uploading it now to XOOPS Dev directly would be appropriate. Of course, if any of their developers want it, they're as welcome as anyone.

Regards,
Richard

kenmcd
  • 2004/9/13 23:43

• kenmcd

• Just popping in

The dev.xoops.org site is like a mini-SourceForge.
You can (and are encouraged) to add your own projects.
This seems like an excellent module to add.

There is another discussion regarding a web hosting module.
https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=23185&forum=4

I would think all the same people would be very interested in this module for the whois functions, etc.

RVirtue
  • 2004/9/14 0:18

• RVirtue

• Quite a regular

Yeah, OK, I took a look. BUT I don't want to start a whole new "development project" with CVS and all that other related stuff.

I've already completed my "project". If anyone else wants to carry it further and add some more "bells and whistles", that's up to them. But it already works and has served its purpose as far as I'm concerned. Now I'm just trying to give the damn thing away to anyone who wants it.

Regards,
Richard

kenmcd
  • 2004/9/14 0:45

• kenmcd

• Just popping in

I know your pain.
Sometimes it is very frustrating trying to help open source projects.

Do you have a place to download it from?
I'll take it, test it, and find it a home if you want.
If you do not want to post a link here, you can message me privately thru this board.

Thanks for the module.

What CMS did you settle on for your use?

RVirtue
  • 2004/9/14 1:16

• RVirtue

• Quite a regular

Well, I don't have a personal HTTP/FTP server and, as I said, I can't provide external access to our corp servers. So we'll try a Yahoo "briefcase" and see how that works.

In case anyone wants to start a "factory" and hoping that the XOOPS folks won't mind, here are links for all three versions:
xoops_netquery
postnuke_netquery
xaraya_netquery

Have fun. And please let me know how it works for you, especially if you have a *nix box available to try it out.

As for picking a "winner", anyone who works for a large bureaucratic outfit will conform that at least six more meetings will be needed for that kind of major decision.

Regards,
Richard

JMorris
  • 2004/9/14 1:27

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Richard,

Thank you for your contribution to the XOOPS community. I have downloaded your modules and will begin testing them ASAP. I run multiple OSs within the confines of Virtual Machines, therefore, I'll be able to test your module under several versions of Linux. Also, my primary hosting service is runs on Unix.

Once my testing is complete, I will repackage the module and upload it to my website and submit it to the appropriate sites for inclusion in our directory. It goes without saying that you will recieve full credit for the module regardless of who hosts its files.

Again, thank you for your contribution. I am sure many XOOPS users will make good use of this module.

Best Regards,

JMorris

RVirtue
  • 2004/9/14 1:38

• RVirtue

• Quite a regular

Great!!!! Repackage and rebrand it any way you wish. It's a trifling "payback", as far as I'm concerned, for all the open source stuff that has come my way over the years.

Best to all,
Richard

YourHelp
  • 2004/9/14 2:47

• YourHelp

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/6/9 6

Fantastic we can always do with new modules!!

Login

Who's Online

230 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 230

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits