regen_r8
Re: Newbb Hack - updating for 2.0.7?
  • 2004/7/26 20:32

• regen_r8

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/5/23

In the block admin function you can turn this display of private forum topics on or off for each block.

Simply click the edit link on the block and change the appropriate options.

See below:

Options
Display posts
Display in full size Yes No
Show Private Forum Posts in Block Yes No
Display Extended post information Yes No

Vizon
  • 2004/8/18 19:16

• Vizon

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/18

Hey regen_r8, I've installed the hack on 2.0.7, and I don't have any problems with it except for one thing. I have created another group called "Elite" and I have given them access to some private forums that I have created (with post access as well). I started out by hiding the private forums, and this group that I have given access to them cannot see it, whereas my Webmasters (whom also have access) can see them no problem.

I then tried to make the forums visible to all, and upon trying to click on it with the "Elite" user, I got a message saying that they do not have access to that forum. Do you know what could be wrong here?

regen_r8
  • 2004/8/19 3:51

• regen_r8

• Not too shy to talk

Is it that they cannot see the forum listed in the forums index, or is it that they cannot see the posts in a block, do they get an access denied message when trying to view the forum list or a specific post?

If you post the URL of your site, I will log in and take a look.

Vizon
  • 2004/8/19 8:33

• Vizon

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/18

Okay, here's the two instances I've tested.

1) this is with the option of hiding the forums that the user doesn't have access to. The "Elite" user, even though given access to the private forums, cannot see the forums in the forum listing.

2) this is with no hiding option on. The "Elite" user is able to see all the forums (like they should), but upon clicking on one, it says that they don't have the correct access for it.

I've checked with phpMyAdmin, and by looking at the xoops_bb_forum_group_access table, it appears that everything is right and that the "Elite" users should have that access... it's just odd.

file2mail
  • 2004/8/26 17:56

• file2mail

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/23

Hi, im having this same exact problem...
im running 2.0.7.1 now... and everything works as it should for the admin group,
but for a user of the regular registered user group (whom has been assigned access rights) cannot see or access the private forum ...

any clues?

ps. hmm when i added the MySQL data... i just added the table structure for the forum_group_access table... should i have added the structure of the entire mysql.sql file???

file2mail
  • 2004/9/12 8:33

• file2mail

• Just popping in

bump
hmm... could caching have anything to do with this problem? like maybe caching of certain modules? or blocks?

DonXoop

An old post and long so if you are talking about seeing private forums when you shouldn't (this hack has always worked great for me) then yes, cache will cause problems.

In general you don't want to cache anything that should look different between user groups. This would include Forums with this hack since the view will may show private forum listings for the wrong people or not show private forums for those that should. Depends on who made the current cache entry and as such is random.

However, the rights are still active. Clicking a private forum you shouldn't see will not let you in.

FYI, this hack is still working great on 2.0.7.3

file2mail
  • 2004/9/13 7:02

• file2mail

• Just popping in

Well the Forum module is not cached ...

The problem is that when a user in a group with access rights to a private forum tries to view the private forum or any posts in the forum, they are not allowed to view it... but the private forum and it's posts does appear in the main forums index and recent topics block along with the public forums...
but they just cant be accessed

regen_r8
  • 2004/9/13 11:36

• regen_r8

• Not too shy to talk

two possibles:

1) cache settings for the forum mod are causing the pages to be served without the script to run - try turning of caching for newbb altogether.

2) block behavior is set with options in the block, independent of the forum index and search facilities - behavior is set with the module preferences.

--
The hack was designed to support independent functioning of the behaviours:

1) assign rights by group
2) hide private forums from "non-privileged" users.

trying to follow XOOPS standards the block options are in the block, and the page options are in the prefs for the mod.

Cheers,

Regen_r8

file2mail
  • 2004/9/14 9:39

• file2mail

• Just popping in

Well all caching has been turned off... its still not working properly...

Login

Who's Online

234 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 234

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits