LeeStewart
News 1.2 upgrade borked?
  • 2004/8/29 3:33

• LeeStewart

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/29

I installed XOOPS 2.0.7 and upgraded the news module to 1.2. I followed the upgrade.txt file - overwrote the existing news folder and updated the module in system admin -> modules.

When I went into the Topics Manager in the News module preferences, I didn't see an "upgrade" link.

I only had a couple news articles and they used to appear with no problem. Now they seem to be gone. I tried every combination of permissions and other options and still no luck.

When I turn on debugging and view my news page, I see
SELECT COUNT(*) FROM xoops_stories WHERE published=0
Error number
Error message
Can't open file: 'xoops_stories.MYD'. (errno: 145)

Did I make a mistake with the upgrade process? Anyone else see this?

Thanks for any pointer,
Lee

hervet
Re: News 1.2 upgrade borked?
  • 2004/8/29 8:53

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/11/4

Hello,

You have an internal error with Mysql.
If you can, export your news and topics with something like phpmyadmin, completly remove xoops_stories and xoops_topics table and reinstall the module. Once this is done, import your sql dump.

Bye,
Hervé

LeeStewart
  • 2004/8/29 15:05

• LeeStewart

• Just popping in

Hervé, thanks for the quick response.

I went into phpmyadmin and looked at the tables, I saw that xoops_stories was "in use", a state I've never seen before. This is a test server, so I just nuked the tables and reinstalled News. Everything was working great.

Then I broke it again.

I have two users, one that has permission to create news articles and the webmaster, who can approve articles. I logged in as the webmaster, wrote a news article and approved it. Everything was fine.

When I use the other account (who can't approve articles) to create a news post and then logged in as the webmaster to approve it, the xoops_stories table got stuck in the weird "in use" state.

I can provide any info you might need, template details, MySQL&PHP versions, my shoe size, whatever...

Thanks,
Lee

hervet
  • 2004/8/29 15:32

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

Hello Lee,

Quote:

LeeStewart wrote:
I went into phpmyadmin and looked at the tables, I saw that xoops_stories was "in use", a state I've never seen before.

I saw it after a crash with my computer.

Quote:

This is a test server, so I just nuked the tables and reinstalled News. Everything was working great.

Then I broke it again.

I have two users, one that has permission to create news articles and the webmaster, who can approve articles. I logged in as the webmaster, wrote a news article and approved it. Everything was fine.

When I use the other account (who can't approve articles) to create a news post and then logged in as the webmaster to approve it, the xoops_stories table got stuck in the weird "in use" state.

I'm not a MySQL expert but I don't think that the problem is coming from the module itself.

Quote:

I can provide any info you might need, template details, MySQL&PHP versions, my shoe size, whatever...

What's your Mysql's version ?

Bye,
Hervé

Stewdio
  • 2004/8/29 15:37

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

Quote:

What's your shoe size?

LeeStewart
  • 2004/8/29 16:10

• LeeStewart

• Just popping in

Quote:
What's your Mysql's version ?

I'm running an older version on my test machine: MySQL 4.0.0-alpha-nt. I've never had problems with records getting locked, but I read something about it on a webpage. I ran "repair" on the table and that seemed to fix things. I'll see if the problem pops up again.

If there's any chance this might be a problem in the News module code, I can take a look at it. If you're 100% sure it's a MySQL problem, then I'll try it on my production machine running MySQL 4.0.20.

My shoe size is 10 (USA).

hervet
  • 2004/8/29 16:31

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

Quote:

LeeStewart wrote:
I'm running an older version on my test machine: MySQL 4.0.0-alpha-nt.

Yes, that's an old version

Quote:

I've never had problems with records getting locked, but I read something about it on a webpage.

If you can find it, tell me.

Quote:

I ran "repair" on the table and that seemed to fix things. I'll see if the problem pops up again.

Yes, tell us.

Quote:

If there's any chance this might be a problem in the News module code,

As I said, I'm not a MySQL expert but for me, it seems to be a MySQL problem.

Quote:

I can take a look at it. If you're 100% sure it's a MySQL problem, then I'll try it on my production machine running MySQL 4.0.20.

I'm not 100% sure but not so far.

Quote:

My shoe size is 10 (USA).

And mine 45, in european's measure

Bye,
Hervé

LeeStewart
  • 2004/8/30 3:04

• LeeStewart

• Just popping in

I poked around and found that the problem occurs when the user approves an article and $this->storyid isn't set. When this happens, the SQL performs an INSERT instead of an UPDATE and things go weird from there.

While I was tracking down the problem further (why is the storyid unknown? is it not being set in the hidden form variable?) I started having some other problems. I'm not sure if they're related, but even a simple UPDATE causes the xoops_stories table to get locked...

hervet
  • 2004/8/30 15:38

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

Hello,

Quote:

LeeStewart wrote:
I poked around and found that the problem occurs when the user approves an article and $this->storyid isn't set. When this happens, the SQL performs an INSERT instead of an UPDATE and things go weird from there.

In this case, the Insert, the code asks to MySQL to give it a new storyid. May be that's the problem... ???

Quote:

While I was tracking down the problem further (why is the storyid unknown?

It is unique and when you are creating an article, the story's Id is not know

Quote:

is it not being set in the hidden form variable?) I started having some other problems. I'm not sure if they're related, but even a simple UPDATE causes the xoops_stories table to get locked...

You should update your Mysql's version.

Bye,
Hervé

Login

Who's Online

201 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 201

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits