djsckizo
Cheap Servers
  • 2004/8/23 13:05

• djsckizo

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/5/9 8

http://www.tomsyer.net/index.php?area=premium

I ran across this today while looking up semi-managed servers. Thought I'd share the link and see what others thought of it.

Here is an example:

Intel Celeron 2.0
512MB Ram
80GB Hard Drive
1000 GB Transfer
5 IPs

FREE SETUP

$55 dollars a month
cPanel is $25 a month extra
Direct Admin is $15 a month extra.

JMorris
Re: Cheap Servers
  • 2004/8/23 13:19

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Looks decent except for one thing... Celeron ... Ugh! I have a Celeron 1.4GHz systems and an AMD Athlon XP 1600+ (1.39GHz). My Athlon stomps my Celeron even on a bad day, and they are comparably spec'd processors! IMHO, avoid Celeron like the plague. If you have to go Intel, go Pentium or go elsewhere. You'll be much happier with the performance.

And yes, I'm speaking of performance as a server. I've run both, and Celerons bog even with moderate loads.

djsckizo
  • 2004/8/23 13:26

• djsckizo

• Just can't stay away

I've never had any problems with celeron in the past, but that was with a home pc and it was a 333 from a few years back. Still works and runs fine, provided I keep that bad stick of memory out of it. Right now though, I run an Athlon XP 2400+ (2ghz) and a Duron 1300 (900mhz). My Duron is my home server I'm teaching myself to run. I'm looking to run into a semi-managed server in the next few months, at the cheapest possible price but with something that isn't going to fall apart and make me wish to attack my host.

JMorris
  • 2004/8/23 16:58

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

I've had better luck with the older Celerons than I have the newer ones. My Celeron is about 2yrs old. I've used some in client PCs that are less than a year old. All the newer Celerons I've used were pretty weak performers.

If you're looking to setup your own server, I'd go with AMD [Athlon preferably]. You can setup a pretty decent server out of your home for very little $$$ if you know where to shop. You may want to visithttp://tigerdirect.com/ and sign up for their newsletter. They have specials on barebone systems w/ processor for under $100 all the time. I recently built a complete system for a client w/ an Athlon XP 2600+ for under $200.

Just a suggestion.

DonXoop

Yeah, Celerons are fine for Apache and a fair amount of PHP. It slows down for things like database and firewall duties. If you are going to run everything (Apache/PHP/MySQL) on the same box then a lot more memory helps. A PHP cache/precompiler along with RAM and disk space goes a long way.

But nothing beats having full control over the whole works. More work upfront but well worth it.

wtravel

Xoops requires a good quality and preferrably fast CPU, since it is quite query dependant. That is why I would not recommend Celeron for XOOPS users when you have more than a few visitors a day.

AMD I do not know about...

Regards,

Martijn

djsckizo
  • 2004/8/25 20:07

• djsckizo

• Just can't stay away

Speaking of AMD....

There is a Sempron set up on there too. From what I have heard, this is supposed to replace the Duron, but could also end up being a compeditor for the P4 if they do it correctly. Since I haven't heard much about it until just recently, I'm not sure.

Anyone use Sempron yet for anything?

Chris03
  • 2004/8/25 22:59

• Chris03

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/2/22

i do hosting for xoopers for free! And im powered by AMD. Duel Athlon MP 2600+ 2GB DDR RAM 4x36GB Seagate Cheetahs, for xoopers i give 1GB storage unlimted bandwidth, and email accounts. Server is Server 2003 Enterprise Edition with PHP 4.3.9 and MySQL 5.0.0! Message me at Circuit256 for AOL or at kickassamd@hotmail.com for MSN or email me at admin@kickassamd.com. No control panel yet everything is through multiple admins but i am setting up HELM as i type the reply!

Login

Who's Online

182 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 182

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits