Raddish
Blocks Admin
  • 2004/8/21 3:53

• Raddish

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/21

Hi all,

I'm having a serious problem with my blocks admin. The settings I make for one group (e.g. "Webmasters") affect the other groups too. I'm guessing that you can set what each group's blocks are, but my installation just doesn't.

Please help!

Adam Radestock
Glass Monkey Group

brash
Re: Blocks Admin
  • 2004/8/21 4:37

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Haven't played with this area a great deal, and I think it would be easy to get confused here. From my understanding the group dropdown list in the blocks admin area is directly linked to the XOOPS permissions system. So when you change something in the blocks admin area, then all groups with permissions to that block will also be changed. At first glance it is very easy to assume that you are able to setup indivuidual displays for each block on a group level, but this is not the case.

rocket98
  • 2004/8/21 6:37

• rocket98

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/2 2

Adam,

By default any modules installed are automatically available to any Webmaster account since that is Admin. If you look in System/Groups/Webmasters you will see everything checked on.

Registered Users have access to all modules installed by default as well unless you change or turn off access to specific modules in System/Group/Registered; however, even though it shows a Registered User has Access Rights the overall setting is still determined by turning Block display On/Off in System/Blocks. Just about every module installed, along with it's blocks, that follows dev guide lines is accessible to turn on or off in Groups with subsequent visibility prefs set in System/Blocks.

So if you look in System/Groups/Registered you will see this group has access to
- Module Access rights (everything)
- Block Access Rights
- Left (everything)
- Center (everything)
- Right (everything)
But they have no access to
- Module Admin rights
- System Admin rights

Now have a look at System/Groups/Anonymous and you should see no access at all.

Making any changes in Group Admin is also what affects the System/Blocks page and what named blocks are displayed for Webmasters, Registered Users and Anonymous users or Guests. Seeing named blocks here does not mean people can see them on your web page... you still have to turn the block On/Off.

Anonymous users must have Group settings changed to give access to any module section. Otherwise they have very limited access to your portal.

The easiest way I found to get oriented to this section was to Create a new Group, I called mine "Tester" then I created a new user and assigned that user to the Group named Tester (I'm using two different browsers here... well actually five but not all at once) and logged this new user in with a secondary browser. Then I was able to fine tune user permissions to whatever I want for this 'Tester Group' and see it immediately in the other window upon a refresh of that window. Was a great way to learn all about user access.

More Info (with pictures)
Xoops Tutorial

Hope my explanation helps somewhat.

Regards,
Rocket98

Raddish
  • 2004/8/21 16:18

• Raddish

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/21

Hi, thanks for your help. I didn't realise that it behaved like that.

Adam Radestock
Glass Monkey Group

bmmolloy
  • 2004/8/21 23:22

• bmmolloy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/4/21

Additionaly, you can rename your 'registered users' group to whatever you want all new users to go into, and then set the access from there. I have the following:

India (registered users, limited access)
USA (Admin Access to certain modules)
webmasters (access to everything)

Login

Who's Online

305 user(s) are online (200 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 305

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits