tedsmith
Why are my changes to PHP Files not showing up on my site?
  • 2004/8/17 18:32

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

I have noticed that I can make changes to any html file I want via the Templates system (by editing my cloned set), but php files are different. I cannot access those via the Template area, so I load edit them with Dreamweaver direct on the server, then save them. I go back to the site, and nothing ever seems to change (even if I update the module in System Admin\Modules), unless I delete the clone, and then re-clone, but that is a total pain the ar*e because it means changing everything all over again. Surely this is not the only way to get changes to a php to actually show up on the website? My latest example of this is changing the date format. I found the forum posting describing how to do this and had to edit the language\english\global.php file. So I opened it, adjusted it, and I saved it. Went back to the site, but the dates do not change. Yet, I did this very same alteration at work today on our Intranet site, and it worked straight away and I've set that up in just the same way? I just don't get it!

Why do php alterations not show up? What am I doing worng

tjnemez
Re: Why are my changes to PHP Files not showing up on my site?
  • 2004/8/17 19:27

• tjnemez

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/9/21

i am assuming you use dreamweaver to upload the edited file?

tedsmith
  • 2004/8/17 19:51

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

Yes, I use DW to open the file that is stored on the server (in my XOOPS website). Make the changes, and click save. I don't actually 'upload' it, because its already on the server if you see what I mean?

Stewdio
  • 2004/8/17 20:52

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

I do the same thing with FlashFXP, I edit the file directly from the server, it opens in Dreamweaver. What happens is a local temporary copy is opened on your computer. Sure your saving the file, but it stays on your computer. You have to upload the temporary file, or apply changes through your ftp client (mine keeps a button open on the FTP client that reads "apply|abort") If I don't click apply, my now saved temp file will not get uploaded. The temp file is deleted on it's own after selecting apply or abort.

Your just missing a crucial step of the process.

tedsmith
  • 2004/8/17 21:19

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

Well that would seem to make sense, but where would this temp file be located? If I look at the file title right at the top of DW it says (in this example) templates/myalbum2_phot.html. It gives no indication that its a copy. And besides, I use DW and XOOPS at work to webmaster our Intranet site. DW connects directly to the area on the network where the XOOPS site is stored, and the changes take effect immediately there? I just don't get it. If what you say is true (which I am sure it is) how do I go about ensuring my temp version of a file actually gets saved and uploaded? Any ideas?

BTW - I use DW's built in FTP service. Its Dreamweaver MX (not the 2004 edition). I do also have Smart FTP installed but not used it much.

Stewdio
  • 2004/8/17 21:26

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

I didn't realise you were using the built in FTP. By all rights, if your options are set correctly, when you save and upload, your file site should reflect the change immediately.

http://www.macromedia.com/support/dreamweaver/ts/documents/pages_not_updating.htm

This might help give some insight.

tjnemez
  • 2004/8/18 0:02

• tjnemez

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/9/21

i use dreamweaver, but always edit locally as my local are the same as remote (files). so, i always have to upload the edited file - then there is no questions.

tedsmith
  • 2004/8/18 7:40

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

Guys - I will download my entire site to my local folder tonight, then make the changes I want, then specifically upload the files I change using SMART FTP. That way I can be sure that the files are being updated.

I've read the link so if the above doesn't work I'll consider contacting my host to ask that they clear any caches. I may also delete my own browser cache, although I've tried visitng with both IE and FireFox and the problem persists.

I've also checked out my work configuration. The XOOPS side of things is exactly the same (Template set in use, html templates updated etc), so I have looked at my DW settings. The major difference is that the Site Properties\Testing Server is set as Local/Network, because the site content is on a networked folder. My home site on the other hand is hosted by a company and the connection method is FTP. I am convinced therefore that the problem is a caching problem somewhere. I will hunt it down and I will destroy it!!

If neither of these work then I may be back! Thanks again

tedsmith
  • 2004/8/19 18:21

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

Hi guys

Sorted it! Thanks so much for your help.

I was just assuming the problem was an XOOPS issue because of problems I had had in the past with templates, chaches etc.

Well, I downloaded my entire site to my local PC, made the changes I wanted to, then deleted the one's on the server, and uploaded my edited version. Worked straight away! Now with the exception of a menu issue I still have with the module (for which Rocket98 has volunteered to help me with) I'm totally sorted. It has a 'Rate this Photo' section that I need to ditch.

I can't believe that such a simple problem was such a major downfall. Worth incorporating it as a tip in the next user guide maybe? Mind you, most Xoopers are more bright than me!

Honestly - I don't know what I'd do without the help of all you guys. What a superb community to be part of.

Thanks once again

Ted

Login

Who's Online

312 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 312

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits