tedsmith
Adjusting the main page layout of the myAlbum -P 2.8 module
  • 2004/8/10 16:14

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

Another dumb question from me, but here goes...

I have downloaded and installed the 'myAlbum -P 2.8 module fromhttp://www.peak.ne.jp and have already started adding catergories etc. However, I now want to change the layout of the first page you get when you acess the module. This can be seen using the following link :

http://www.lost-doggies.com/temp_graphics/Graphic1.jpg

How can I change the layout of this screen? (in my case it is which ever page is called whenhttp://www.lost-doggies.com/modules/myalbum/ is entered)? In other words, which file is it I need to adjust? Initially I assumed it would be the index.html file for the module but it does not appear to have any settings options relating to the layout. Using a WYSIWYG editor its just code, presumebly because of the way XOOPS modules work?

Can anyone give me some insight. I have posted the same question on their websitehttp://www.peak.ne.jp but despite being read many times, no answers so far.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

DobePhat
Re: Adjusting the main page layout of the myAlbum -P 2.8 module
  • 2004/8/10 21:10

• DobePhat

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/15

Greetings!

Funny I just modified that on our site...(it hasn't been made public yet) but for starters the image it's calling is set to be 120 width.

So I had to look through all the template files for it (this is assuming you've already cloned your template files via admin, for other readers...)..

I believe I found it in "myalbum_categories" now thats the main block you have showing there....
The layout of that page is determinate on which blocks you have showing as well.

tedsmith
  • 2004/8/10 21:57

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

Thanks DobePhat.

I have cloned the XOOPS default template, and have the 'Adjust module template .html page blah blah blah' set to yes, and I've told XOOPS to use the cloned template set and my current theme. I have then gone and changed the file you refer to (myalbum_catergories and removed the link to the missing graphics file in this case) and then cleared the templates_c folder. Went back to the site and nothing has happened?

I have to say of all the areas of Xoops, the display side of things keeps throwing me really badly. I just never get to grips with it and never really understand what I'm doing, but that's another story.

Don't worry about it though - I did not expect anyone to go trawling through all the files for me. I just thought that if someone knew they could tell me and save me a load of hassle. Looks like its back to the drawing board !!

DobePhat
  • 2004/8/10 22:36

• DobePhat

• Friend of XOOPS

What kind of modifications do you want made?

The file I refered to represents the image display (in your case not displayed). in the category block section.

Silly question: but when you edit it, you are submitting it right?

You shouldnt need to clear your cache file. But if you usually have such a problem seeing what you want right away you can go to groups/ and update with selecting anything different actually. That will usually refresh it for you for sure!

The idea of cordinating blocks in display is tricky at first...but very freeing once you get used to it. Look at how many template files you should be able to edit for myalbum.

I believe there are 6....
If you want to test some things out without uploading all the time, try tweeking it locally. just have a copy of the css file your using, link/be referred to it.

This way you can mess with your own look and feel for it (or investigate whats what...) before you try and make the changes. It may sound tedious but it's not, it's a helpful trick.
---
Quote:
did not expect anyone to go trawling through all the files for me

It just so happens Im tweeking/learning about this mod myself right now. So feel free to ask some questions. Although I am not an expert on it....

JohnS
  • 2004/8/10 23:42

• JohnS

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/10

I'm playing with this module as well, and am looking at some of the same issues. While I understand the sound logic of abstracting the display from program logic, i've struggled to find my way through the maze of what dictates each piece of a module.

I would really appreciate it if you could give me a quick explanation of cloning the default template and why it's important. Is there a general discourse on display logic, templates, etc.? Thanks much. It's a great module, i'd just like to tweak the display a bit.

tedsmith
  • 2004/8/11 13:55

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

DobePhat

What do you mean exactly by 'are you submitting it right?' in your post above? I load it directly from the server into dreamweaver, and then save the changes. Then go back to the site and refresh the display. Am I missing something? Is there something else I should be doing?

DobePhat
  • 2004/8/11 14:28

• DobePhat

• Friend of XOOPS

Ok,

You may already be doing these steps guys but I will detail them.

When I first used XOOPS I was unaware of the unlocked potential behind cloning your "entire" template set. This is what I am refering to.

1: you log on to your site as admin
2 Modules system admin-templates
3 If you havent already made a template set, then you want to clone you default set
give it a name like (mysite2..etc)

4: Now you have created a full template set...
Go to system admin preferences-choose your newly created template set as the default template set.

---
Now you can always go back in through the template manager,
find the template for the corresponding module you wish to tweek, click on it , click edit:...(you can do it online, or use an editor like dreamweaver if you wish,)but now you can use the interface in XOOPS (just a text editor) to tweek things.

Often I do use a wysiwyg editor seperately, copy and paste into it to see what Im really tweeking. (but to get a clear idea of this you should have a local version of your css styles)

Cloning:
What this does in essence is insure that you have a default template set. (you also can't edit online unless you have a set created) One you can always go back to if you tweak stuff too much! (believe me it comes in handy when you mess someting up, you can just open your default version of it and copy it back into it)

Well I hope this is making more sense now?

tedsmith
  • 2004/8/11 16:57

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

Thanks for that explanation. It has helped me understand a bit more which is cool.

I think ym main problem is perhaps my lack of understanding of html, php etc. I think that is my problem. I eventually worked this problem out though by tinkering with the file using the Templates area of Xoops. The changes take effect straight away like that so I will try to get into the habit of using it instead of Dreamweaver for little tweaks like that.

Thanks a lot for your help - really great.

Cheers

DobePhat
  • 2004/8/12 15:55

• DobePhat

• Friend of XOOPS

No Prob!

It's just one of those things youll get better at. And the great thing is you will find similar layouts, definitions across the board for other modules as well.

-Cheers!
Resized Image

JohnS
  • 2004/8/16 18:50

• JohnS

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/10

Makes perfect sense, thanks for the help!

Login

Who's Online

126 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 126

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits