Stephanie
Xoops and SEO ?
  • 2004/8/9 19:23

• Stephanie

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/9 1

Hi,

I am considering using XOOPS for a new site but I am a bit concerned as if it will be doing ok as far as search engine ranking.

I took a look at some of the sites created with XOOPS that has a high PageRank, but it does not seem to transfer from one page to another. (the homepage has a PR of 5 and the second level page has a zero PR).

Anyone here is an SEO expert and has XOOPS knowledge too?

Thanks!

Stephanie

rocket98
Re: Xoops and SEO ?
  • 2004/8/9 21:42

• rocket98

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/2 2

I'm a bit off topic here rather than presenting a suggestion to your needs.

I'm baffled by my XOOPS site and how it is portrayed in search engines. This is something fundamental to a portal system which has to change dramatically to be of use, at least to me. Maybe others feel the same way I don't know.

I came from a Postnuke site and converted over to XOOPS simply because the back-end is much simpler compared to most other CMS products. My previous Postnuke site had no more content than my current site yet Google had 15 spiders sitting on my doorstep 24 hours a day sifting through pages etc, etc. Honestly there was nothing there and I did nothing special in Postnuke other than a base install and a few modules like a gallery, a calendar, a forum etc. The neat thing was after a month using PostNuke I ranked 6th position with pages from sites of the same topic that had been on the web for 2-3 years previous to my setup.

I moved to XOOPS because my Postnuke site just blew up one day and I could not figure how to get it back. The good thing about google is these links (over 300) it created back to my Postnuke site were almost live i.e., within 2 days of switching to XOOPS every single link was gone in google except two which is the front page of my current XOOPS site and my account profile page.

So I'm baffled with SEO on XOOPS and am also looking for someone to shed some light on getting every single page on a XOOPS site in Google or other engines and not just the splash page or a member profile page.

Regards
rocket98

ps. vbulletin systems have excellent positioning in Google and elsewhere not sure why it might be their article (post) archive system or the way they implement short urls. But I can post on a VB site today and a link will be in google within 4-8 hours.

theprof
  • 2004/8/9 23:10

• theprof

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/7/14

Quote:
ps. vbulletin systems have excellent positioning in Google and elsewhere not sure why it might be their article (post) archive system or the way they implement short urls. But I can post on a VB site today and a link will be in google within 4-8 hours.

You are right about that, I use to post on a Vbullentin board, and I would do searches on Google, in related topics and see that not only my forum post, but others in that forum was on google. Kinda took me by surprise, and since then I have been cautious of what I put on Forums..lol

theprof
  • 2004/8/9 23:16

• theprof

• Quite a regular

Here is an update....I just changed the TITLE of my website, yesturday, and already on GOOGLE..im in the top 20 I believe with that title...so XOOPS sites do get spidered well, just gotta do the tricks.....

this is what I did.....

Go to Admin--->Preferences--->General Settings---> In the (Site name) GET SPECIFIC...

before the change..I had ProBlacks.com as my site title...

since then..I have added A LONG description

I notice that GOOGLE loves SITE TITLES...

so I put in my new site title

(Professional Blacks: job, forums, black news, dating, #1 black website!)

in 24 hours it is already working...

when I put in professional blacks..im top 20...

Ready to get to #1

karuna
  • 2004/8/9 23:49

• karuna

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/5/29

Quote:

the homepage has a PR of 5 and the second level page has a zero PR

i don't think so. you can have a look of the pr of xoops.org

the homepage is 8 and the second level is 6 or 7

rocket98
  • 2004/8/10 0:09

• rocket98

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/2 2

Yes I see your point.

Your site is new and you already have far more content than my own site. Your site is number 1 if you try problacks.com (try that without quotes then with quotes). This will bring up 2 links directed right back to your URL (might have to dig) and even though you have a good selection of content on your site using problacks.com as a reference none of your content is indexed just two entries for your url plus other entries which are linked to your site and a search subdomain. Also the reference to your site from here in XOOPS forum is already in google as well... not this post.

My point is that when I used Postnuke for my site, without any effort at all, every single internal link of the site which pointed to any type of content was indexed by google it followed urls right to the content and keyed on those items so that when i did a keyword search on a relevant first 5 words of a news item or forum post, that item showed up in google and linked back to my site.

Trying keyword searches on your content returns poor results in google or the result is buried so far into google it makes no sense to look. That's the point I'm trying to make. I want the content indexed not just the name of my site or my admin name. Your site, like mine, seems to only appear twice within it's real domain name problacks.com.

It probably does not matter but try these searchs in google
become a proud member of ProBlacks
community for professional blacks worldwide
"community for professional blacks"

What do you come up doing these searches especially since these words apparently are part of your site message; a static message that will not change to often over time as your site grows.

It's just that all the other content one would think Google would spider appears no where else so that it could be related back to your site were someone to do some searches.

theprof
  • 2004/8/10 0:29

• theprof

• Quite a regular

you know thats a good point, im going to test run that right now...see whats what...brb

theprof
  • 2004/8/10 0:36

• theprof

• Quite a regular

Well you are pretty much right, I took the FULL title of my 7 most active forum topics...and ONLY ONE...came back in the top ten on google....

hmmmmmmm

CeBepuH
  • 2004/8/10 6:38

• CeBepuH

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/6/10

PageRank is based mostly on how many sites have links to your site, what is their PR, etc. So fora a new site PR is bound to be lower...

Anyway has anyone noticed the following funny thing: most sites accessed with www.somesite.com have a higher PR with 1 than the same sites than the same sites accessed without www.

Google relies quite a lot on titles. There was a Titles hack round here which you could use.

Another thing is: i've changed my website design 3 months ago. I've found that google cache still returns searches from that period with my previous design. So it really makes a difference between dynamic pages and static pages. (Actually I've just found that text onhttp://www.google.com/webmasters/guidelines.html: Quote:

If you decide to use dynamic pages (i.e., the URL contains a '?' character), be aware that not every search engine spider crawls dynamic pages as well as static pages. It helps to keep the parameters short and the number of them small.
)

Maybe using one of the module rewrites from here would do the the trick but... I'm not sure on how much load would that be for my apache.

I suppose an alternative is the eXploz hack. But it has some bugs...

Anybody heard whether Google has any problems with '+'?

Login

Who's Online

250 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 250

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits