tedsmith
Xoops Forums and Alternatives to Default Ones - Advice Please
  • 2004/8/4 15:19

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

Can I just get some clarification?

1) Is Newbb the default XOOPS forum released with 2.0.7? I know this sounds daft but I want to confirm because that is my understanding, and when Newbb2 is released eventually it will be a simple update procedure and distributed with Xoops?

2) The ported modules like phpBB and the IPP bulletin boards byhttp://www.bbpixel.com seem very popular. However, the installation instructions in them state that I need to OVERWRITE some of my core XOOPS folders with the folders in the modules. I'm worried that if I do that I'll loose a lot of my data or settings? For example, one of the folders I am supposed to overwrite is the System Admin folder!! Can someone confirm that I do indeed need to overwrite the root folders of my XOOPS system with those in the module before I do?

If possible, I'd like to stick with the XOOPS modules wherever possible, but the current forum is a bit 'lacking'. If the new XOOPS one (Newbb2) is likely to be much better, then I may stick with that rather than trying to use ported versions, but I need to get one up and running ASAP.

Any help or advice appreciated.

Cheers

Ted

ChadK
Re: Xoops Forums and Alternatives to Default Ones - Advice Please
  • 2004/8/4 23:34

• ChadK

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/7/9 1

Ted, bbpixel's IPB module rocks. I highly recommend it. The install isn't as painful as you think and when I upgraded my forum from newbb to IPB using his module/hack I didn't loose anything except private messages (because I opted to use IPB's PM system which is optional)

Follow the directions closely. Works like a charm.
http://www.aviary.info see it running.

tedsmith
  • 2004/8/5 5:51

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

Its the fact that I have to overwrite some of my core folders that worries me though. Are you sure by doing that I won't lose my data? I have already spent a lot of time setting it up, and if it all went wrong now I'd be upset.

You just simply copy the content of his 'upload' folder to the root of the XOOPS system? He says to do that, but it isn't in perfect English which worries me a bit in case he meant a different phrase or word?

Cheers

tedsmith
  • 2004/8/5 7:49

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

Backed up system and went for it! Everything worked OK, but Im not keen unfortunately. I see it has many features, but its a bit overkill for us (we are an internal intranet for a team of 8 people!).

I also don't like the way that the fonts of the bulletin board and things change when you click on the bulletin board link, and then they go back to normal when you return to the main XOOPS area.

I think for now I'll stick with the default XOOPS forum, and then when the new XOOPS version is released I'll upgrade to that.

Thanks anyway

Ted

ChadK
  • 2004/8/5 18:40

• ChadK

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/7/9 1

Yep, I agree, the fact that it uses it's own style sheet bugs me as well but you can drop it into an iframe to get around that problem...

also, I don't remember where to get it but there is a NEWBB PRO hack that you can install that gives you more features for a stock newbb board. I have the newbb pro hack installed athttp://freakarmy.org (not for the youngsters)

gniknalu
  • 2004/8/5 22:43

• gniknalu

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/28

Overwriting core files is necessary to add functionality. It's a necessary evil but a safe one. After hundreds of installs I can say it works like a charm.

The added functionality and tight integration sets it apart from all other forums.

A good rule to follow with any module will help in this instance too - backup files/data before installing any module.

Login

Who's Online

136 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 136

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits