Nick-
Posting comment in Stories module sends users to white page
  • 2004/8/4 9:33

• Nick-

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/23

Hey all,

Well, I was about to make my site public and did a last run through test. To my dismay I had a few bugs, but they're all fixed now except this last one that has been really bugging me.

When you try and submit a comment to a news story (Stories module, not News module), you are sent to a white page after pressing the Post button. The comment is added to the page but you aren't redirected in any way. Comments work with other modules; I don't give a "Thanks for commenting" message, which I assume is what I should be seeing. I get the same problem when deleting a comment as well.

I turned on PHP Debug and got the following error when I submitted a comment:

(This is edited a bit to fix line wrapping, this would be a nice feature for newbb2 as invision power board has it)
Fatal errorCannot instantiate non-existent class: newsstory in /home/domain/
public_html/site/modules/stories/include/comment_functions.php on line 32

Warning 
[PHP]: main(/home/domain/public_html/site/modules/news/class/class.
newsstory.php): failed to open streamNo such file or directory in file 
modules
/stories/include/comment_functions.php line 30

Warning 
[PHP]: main(): Failed opening '/home/domain/public_html/site/modules/
news/class/class.newsstory.php' 
for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/
lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php'
in file modules/stories/include/comment_functions.
php line 30
(no spaces from line to line mean it was all one line, when there's a space between lines they're seperate lines)

I get the exact same error message when I go to delete a comment. I first get the "Delete child comments" question but after hitting submit, I see the same blank page.

Does anybody know how to fix this? I have the latest version of the Stories module, the module is updated, the creator's site has working comments (www.varlinux.org), and I've even reuploaded the mentioned XOOPS files into the include directory. Comments for other modules work just fine (I tested with Polls) and nothing is out of place as far as I know.

I'm hoping to launch my site TODAY before noon PST but I can't unless I get this bug fixed. So if anybody can make a fix up in the next 8 hours, that would be wonderful

Thanks for any help,
Nick

Herko
Re: Posting comment in Stories module sends users to white page
  • 2004/8/4 9:36

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Try to install the News module alongside the stories module, as it tries to call some function of the news module. You can hide the news module by making it inactive.

Herko

Nick-
  • 2004/8/4 10:56

• Nick-

• Just popping in

Thanks for the quick reply.

I just reuploaded the news module and tried to install it but I got an error about the stories table already being in use by the Stories module. Do I really need to install the News module or can I just have the files in the folder?

Thanks,
Nick

Catzwolf
  • 2004/8/4 11:08

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

I don't think that this option will help you here.

The first port of call with any white page is to turn on PHP Debugging in system admin/prefs.

Sounds like a missing function or duplicate function.

Nick-
  • 2004/8/4 11:15

• Nick-

• Just popping in

Hey Liquid,

I'm not sure, it may help, I feel pretty dumb for not noticing /news/ in the paths I posted. Those were outputted from the PHP debug option. I'm just not sure how to get around the tables issue, I mean, should I rename the table or does it need it even if it isn't used?

Nick

Nick-
  • 2004/8/4 13:33

• Nick-

• Just popping in

Quote:

Herko Coomans wrote:
Try to install the News module alongside the stories module, as it tries to call some function of the news module. You can hide the news module by making it inactive.

Herko

Much thanks Herko, this fixed the problem, I feel like a moron for not noticing the news module in the path. I ended up just editing the sql install file to do nothing, both modules use identical tables so it didn't have to be remade.

Nick

Login

Who's Online

98 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 98

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits