deram
Re: Why the change?
  • 2006/8/20 2:24

• deram

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/2/10

@Bender thank you for a clear answer. I wil uninstall the whole thing again then.

Could you please let me know if what I am planning to do now sounds logical:

1. Install XOOPS ver.14 via Fantastico.

2. GET all the files from webhost via Dreamweaver. So that my local PC file structure is the same as on the server.

3. Go into a current website of mine running Ver. 13 and look at what modules are there.

Find the same modules in the depository, and install each one on my local machine. Then one by one upload them to the server and test that they work before getting the next.

I don't have enough experience to know which modules works with my favorite theme and on ver. 14 - so I guess I have no other option than to go with what I know works.

Cheers,

Deram

jensclas

Quote:
3. Go into a current website of mine running Ver. 13 and look at what modules are there.

Find the same modules in the depository, and install each one on my local machine. Then one by one upload them to the server and test that they work before getting the next.

No - sorry - this will not be a necessarily good idea! Some of the modules in the current repository are old and outdated. Go to the list and threads mentioned by others here and the release notes for 2.0.14 and you will get current and up to date modules.

To properly undertand how modules work in the XOOPS system I also suggest you go here:

Module upload tutorial: http://www.warpigw2.com/modules/wfsection/viewarticles.php?category=2

New users should always checkout the following:
1. Documentation - linked on the left. Specifically the administration manual
2. The FAQ section - linked on the left - specifically the sections on gloassry, beginners first steps, modules, blocks and themes. There are links to visual tutorials here.
3. The search function on the top right.
Please check also the read B4U post link below if you have problems.

You might not see yourself as a new user but you are if you don't understand how to upload and install a module because it was all done for you.

For Visual tutorials please go here

Remember this - uploading the correct folder from a module download to the module folder of your site is not installing it. You must visit your site admin and press the install button so XOOPS will install it.

You were lucky your versions of fantastico worked so well - mine never have! Mine currently does nothing more than create the database i need. The rest i have always had to do manually. The best resources for module installation are those mentioned above.

You also must keep in mind some recent developments. One of these is the recent CBB module has a frameworks forlder. If you don;t follow the installation instructions in the 'read me' file and install the framewroks folder the other modules you upload ready for installation will be hidden.

JamesSAEP
  • 2006/8/20 21:15

• JamesSAEP

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/2/28

I'll work on better documentatin later this week. When I put this package together, I had assumed users knew XOOPS and how to install everything.

My package is like the old 2.0.10 and earlier days were the Core came with some modules to get the site up and running. To install my package, extract it and upload the contents to the root of your site. When you point your browser to it, follow the install instrucitons for XOOPS (it installs just like the default package). Then after it is installed, go into the admin -> modules and install each wanted module.

You can take only the modules out of my package and uplaod them. The only thing you need is to take the Frameworks from the root if using CBB (newbb).

deram
  • 2006/8/21 2:08

• deram

• Just popping in

Quote:

jensclas wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

No - sorry - this will not be a necessarily good idea! Some of the modules in the current repository are old and outdated. Go to the list and threads mentioned by others here and the release notes for 2.0.14 and you will get current and up to date modules.

I have an absolute favorite theme and I have not found any other that I would wnat to even consider using. I know that this works with ver. 13. So, I have two options:

A. Get a bit more updated modules, but the theme may not work. Result, I cannot use it all all.
B. Use the ver. 13 modules that work, but are not totally updated. I can use the favorite theme perfectly.

However, I might give it a shot and hope that the theme still works with the newer modules, but if it doesn't, I will clearly choose the old modules and have the theme work, because I am happy with how everything works on my current websites running ver. 13.

Quote:

To properly undertand how modules work in the XOOPS system I also suggest you go here:

Module upload tutorial: http://www.warpigw2.com/modules/wfsection/viewarticles.php?category=2

New users should always checkout the following:
1. Documentation - linked on the left. Specifically the administration manual
2. The FAQ section - linked on the left - specifically the sections on gloassry, beginners first steps, modules, blocks and themes. There are links to visual tutorials here.
3. The search function on the top right.
Please check also the read B4U post link below if you have problems.

You might not see yourself as a new user but you are if you don't understand how to upload and install a module because it was all done for you.

I don't know if you read the whole tread, but if you had done that, you would have seen that I have had websites running XOOPS for a while now. I have uploaded and installed a few modules and it has worked fine.

That was never the issue.

The issue was very specifically howcome James' pack didn't work if I uploaded the same files and structure as in his pack. I now know that there for a few modules are files that have to be added outside of the modules main folder structure (in the root for instance) but that is rare.

Quote:

For Visual tutorials please go here

Remember this - uploading the correct folder from a module download to the module folder of your site is not installing it. You must visit your site admin and press the install button so XOOPS will install it.

I know. I have never asked about this. I said that the modules were not showing here so I could not get to install them from admin page.

Quote:

You were lucky your versions of fantastico worked so well - mine never have! Mine currently does nothing more than create the database i need. The rest i have always had to do manually. The best resources for module installation are those mentioned above.

Yes, the fantastico from my host has always worked perfectly. I have installed xoops, smf, php and many many other CMS, forums etc. and it has worked perfectly every time.

So, I have been used to XOOPS just working brilliantly and easily. Actually one of the reasons why I use XOOPS was because of the userfriendlyness.

The new SMF is really brillliant in that respect. EVERYTHING can be updated, changed and installed from the admin page! If you for instance find a new theme you like - you can upload it and install it directly from any computer easily and simply. You don't have to uploud the files first in one program, and then open the admin page. You don't even have to bother with where the different files go, folder structure or anything. That really impressed me.

However SMF only does the forum part. For CMS - XOOPS (ver.13) is still my favorite. Too bad my host doesn't have fantastico on ver.13 still, but changed to ver. 14.

Quote:

You also must keep in mind some recent developments. One of these is the recent CBB module has a frameworks forlder. If you don;t follow the installation instructions in the 'read me' file and install the framewroks folder the other modules you upload ready for installation will be hidden.

Yes, I guess those are the things I will have to look at now when I am going to install module by module individually.

I thought, hoped and asked if James' pack would allow me to install for instance 10 modules in one go - but it seems there is no easy solution. I just have to manually upload and install the module one by one.

msdana
  • 2006/8/21 2:17

• msdana

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/12/11

Quote:
I have an absolute favorite theme and I have not foun any other that I would wnat to even consider using. I know that this works with ver. 13.

IF your theme was designed and coded properly, it *should* work with .14, it just won't take advantage of the new bottom blocks functions. If you do run into problems, there are plenty of users that can help you
[size=x-small]If God is watching us, the least we can do is be entertaining.[/size]
Graphic Worx : Xoops Themes

deram
  • 2006/8/21 2:31

• deram

• Just popping in

Quote:

msdana wrote:
Quote:
I have an absolute favorite theme and I have not foun any other that I would wnat to even consider using. I know that this works with ver. 13.

IF your theme was designed and coded properly, it *should* work with .14, it just won't take advantage of the new bottom blocks functions. If you do run into problems, there are plenty of users that can help you

I appreciate that. It is just that I am more of a user, than really interested in the mechanics. I have made websites, games etc. in Flash for instance where I did the things, but no matter what happened to the project itself - at least I learned along the way.

My goal now, is not really to learn as much as it is "to get this thing to work". Of course I will still learn, but my main concern right now is that it works. I don't need a lot of bells and whistles. I just need something that works to the standard of ver. 13.

So, if you are saying that if the theme (called "flash test" btw.) should work with 14 modules if coded properly, then I'll give these modules a go.

This whole thing to me is like if we could no longer buy assembled PCs because "the market move so fast that the parts are outdated very fast". Now everyone would have to buy seperate graphics cards, coolers, ram etc. etc.

Yes, it is true - a better and more personalized pc can be made that way, but it is still not what the average pc user want. It is simply too much hazzle and only offer cost/benefit value to the people that can do this in a flash with a low error rate because of experience.

So - well personally, I really hope that XOOPS goes the other way - towards userfriendlyness instead of away from it. I understand that there has to be a balance, but not including any modules and thereby trying to force people to use newer modules I'm not sure that is the way. Then a better way would be to do like SMF. SMF have red writing that flashed in the admin section saying "outdated this and this, do you wish to update?". Then you press an "OK" button and everything uploads and updates. Bang your modules are up to date.

That would be a far far better way to go balancing both userfriendlyness and having updated versions out there.

snow77
  • 2006/8/21 3:04

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/7/23

Quote:
not including any modules and thereby trying to force people to use newer modules. I'm not sure that is the way... SMF have red writing that flashed in the admin section saying "outdated this and this, do you wish to update?".

Wasn't something like this what I was trying to show you when I told you to find out about THIS LINK (it's just a draft of a doucment in process but could have helped you anyways)but somehow it seems you overlooked it cause you were too focused in Quote:
not really to learn as much as it is "to get this thing to work".
and just want things to happen magically, God created the world in 7 seven days with a snap of his fingers, I am afraid we are mortals who must take a larger effort to accomplish things. XOOPS hasn't reached a state perfection, but if you listened to the people that want to help it'd be much easier for you.

deram
  • 2006/8/21 3:36

• deram

• Just popping in

Quote:

snow77 wrote:
Quote:
not including any modules and thereby trying to force people to use newer modules. I'm not sure that is the way... SMF have red writing that flashed in the admin section saying "outdated this and this, do you wish to update?".

Wasn't something like this what I was trying to show you when I told you to find out about THIS LINK (it's just a draft of a doucment in process but could have helped you anyways)but somehow it seems you overlooked it cause you were too focused in Quote:
not really to learn as much as it is "to get this thing to work".
and just want things to happen magically, God created the world in 7 seven days with a snap of his fingers, I am afraid we are mortals who must take a larger effort to accomplish things. XOOPS hasn't reached a state perfection, but if you listened to the people that want to help it'd be much easier for you.

Are you saying that there is no room for "users"? Either you learn about how the graphics card work, whih type of ram is better and what the trade off is, or you cannot buy a PC at all.

I don't think it is that bad to reach a stuation where "users" also want to use the product, and not only experienced xoopsers?

PS. And I don't know why you want me to look at that link? It shows me to a page with some of the latest modules. I have never asked which are the latest modules. however, it is obviously handy to have if I want to give it a try to install some of these modules instead of the ones I know work with my theme (the ones from ver. 13). So thx anyway.

damaster
  • 2006/8/21 7:27

• damaster

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/5/11

For dev team, coders and designers, XOOPS is confronted to an immediate problem acknowledgement and highest priority resolution, that can be resumed in two words:

LEGACY CODE !

P.S. Though also a good example would be Minahito development strategy at XOOPS Cube.
So... Can we learn from each other?
I like people more than machines or money. But that's me!
Lets do something good and great: Lets do open source!

snow77
  • 2006/8/21 7:50

• snow77

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/7/23

@devram

initially the problem was modules now it has become a theme problem? ...I don't understand.
You had module problem and I tried to give a solution, that's all. And you continue stuck to 2.0.13... why not upgrade and take all the improvements of the latest versions...something else I can't understand

I don't know what your prototype of "users" is. I don't know why you look forward to such "automatic" things, being such a computer experienced as you are, computer stuff doesn't usually take this tendency, not the way I see it, I know I have an automatic orange squeezer and washing machine, but programming, like XOOPS and other software, is not usually "automatic"

You say: "Are you saying that there is no room for "users"?"... I so not understand this type of user you talk about, that I'd say no, there is no space for this malconception of what a user can be, in my mind, but there is space for people willing to learn; strangely this comes to my mind:

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. Matthew-Bible"

and still more strangely even, I don't follow any orthodox ... I follow the energies of the "manifesto of conspiracy"

Login

Who's Online

216 user(s) are online (159 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 216

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits