Posted on: 2008/1/28 2:12
Re: 100% Newbie - General Questions...
1. This is silly, but how do I install a theme? I downloaded two of them, but cannot for the life of me figure out what to do with them! Should I merely copy the unzipped contents into the HTDOCS directory?
upload the unziped them files to your themes folder.
then go ( and only if your site is up and running " installed" ) to /admin.php, perfences, the fist one in the list. scroll down and look for defualt theme, from there you can highlight and activate your new themes.
2. This is also silly, but, ummm, there's nothing there... I guess I don't really understand how this is supposed to work. Can I just insert my own code to integrate it into my own site?
you can if you like,but it will not be searchable in your site, or be in the menu... You can add modules, activate them and add your content there.
3. When I try to get to the admin panel, I get a message saying that the "mainfile.php" file is writeable. I have tried on my host (through ftp) and on my personal mechine (then uploading via ftp) to change the permissions to "444", but even after applying that, they return to "644". Anyone know why?
In most cases host set the permisions so that your ftp unit will not alow cmod to 444 unless you log into cpanel, and set them manualy in filemanager. the hosts feal its a security isue...
4. I understand that there is a "WordPress Module". Seeing that I am obviously not a XOOPS expert, how does this work? I've always liked WP and have used it in the past, so if I could integrate a WP blog into my upcoming XOOPS-Powered site, that would be fantastic.
Your right, There is a WP module, theres a good example here on Xoops.org. and theres another one on HelpXoops.info
they are simple to setup, and easy to use too.
5. On a similar note, what about using a different forum, say for instance, Simple Machines? Can that be integrated?
SMF, a very nice forum, I have a working example on HelpXoops.info of a SMF setup inside XOOPS as a module or a standalone, I havent tested the SMF module on the 2.0.18 yet but maybe some else has...
there are many other forums for xoops.
CBB,IPB,phpBB2,newBB,newBB2,SMF we have the basics covered and then some.
NOTE: check your version of XOOPS with the forum module, not all will work with newer or older versions.
Sorry about all the very, VERY n00b questions, but I am ready to dive into XOOPS and would appreciate a push in the right direction. Thanks!
We all have to start some where.
There are two choices in life... to look stupid for a minute and ask a question, only to receive the answer and become smarter, Or to looks smart and not ask the question and then be stupid for a life time.