ianez
file repository? any idea?
  • 2011/4/18 16:11

• ianez

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/1/26

Hi,
it's any blue move planned for classic repository manager as mylink or pddownloads (which works with 2.5.x as far as I know..)
is TDMDonwloads supported/developed anymore?

Thanx
Ian

Mamba
Re: file repository? any idea?
  • 2011/4/18 17:40

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
TDMDonwloads supported/developed anymore?

Yes, Mage is working on a new improved version
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Mamba
  • 2011/4/18 20:34

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Mage just released the TDMDownloads 1.6 Beta
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

DCrussader

Bitcero is working on RM Transport (Downloads) too...
If there was CCK like Seblod (http://www.seblod.com/) here, XOOPS will be no.1 choice ... and the repository to be done already.

There should be:
- Real custom fields:
-- For picking mirror (Google Code and SourceForge.NET or additional University mirrors)
-- For picking core compatibility
-- For carousel gallery of screen shots from the selected module
- Editor's Rating based on few criteria such as
-- Documentation
-- Installation
-- Interface
-- Features
-- Ease of Use
-- Support
- User's Rating
-- Documentation
-- Installation
-- Interface
-- Features
-- Ease of Use
-- Support
- Short Description (Plain text area)
- Full Description + Features list + Changelog list (HTML)
- AJAX Rate
- Claim Module (for abandonware modules such as Yogurt), for sure there will be thousands more
- * Strong policy about naming modules
- * Strong policy about keeping language files in English and clean of outdated crap
- * Strong policy about forking, maintaining module is one thing, but adding/removing features is forking - Rename
- Links to:
-- Discussion Thread for problems regarding Alpha, Beta, Preview Releases aka Tech Releases, Release Candidates
-- Link to existing translations or/and flagging every available translation with flag + download link
-- Link to demo site
-- Link to similar modules by the same author
-- Link to author home page
--- Strong policy about user details collectors - forced registration to download GPL module is in violation with several laws plus GPL itself, every such collector - temporary removal
.... and can add few more things.... but and this are not possible with existing tools :( (tried with 2.0.18 + Formularize + RMC + RM Transport, but wasn't enough)
May The Source Be With You!

redheadedrod

I am headed in the direction you are looking for.

I am currently redoing the main install script to make it easier to install xoops in the manner we are used to. After that is done I will be working on some group and permissions stuff (As a hack) then I will be working on a new module install system.

For now I will be taking the module installer included with the basic module pack and expanding it. The main thing is that it will read an RSS feed from selected sites to show when updated modules are available. This will require a secondary module to be installed as a transitional module that will provide the feeds. This module will read the TDMDownloads and WF-downloads databases and build the RSS feed to be used. Since the feed will require things such as dependencies and core version compatibility which is not included currently in either of those download modules they will have to be done manually by the site admin in the transitional module.

After this is accomplished and working I am going to look at revamping a download module. I was thinking of using wf-downloads because the last time I looked at the available modules wf-downloades seemed to be the most mature offering which would simplify things considerably.

My intent is that with the modules module you will be able to add feeds to look at the latest offerings. You would have the main feed from the site plus any feeds from any other sites you wanted to add. These would be listed in an "available modules" area and go from there.

Once that is accomplished I plan to use my experience from this and the install program revamp to build a totally different install/upgrade system. That system will require the RSS feeds to work correctly thus the need to revamp the repository. My intent with my current projects is to make things much easier for new users and to learn how things tick with xoops in the process. Assuming I am successful in my attempts with just the mentioned projects above, xoops will be much easier to install and use for most basic users or advanced users.. So time will tell. I am about done with my classes for the semester. One of my projects in one of my programming classes is xoops related as well.

I do like what you suggest to add though and I will look to implement those when I get to that point. I will have to evaluate what I want to actually add and what needs to be done to the download modules and see what happens. If what I saw before is still the case I may end up actually updating wf-downloads and expanding tdmdownloads but that will likely be a fall project at this point and I will reevaluate them at that time.

Attending College working towards Bachelors in Software Engineering and Network Security.

DCrussader

Quote:

My intent is that with the modules module you will be able to add feeds to look at the latest offerings. You would have the main feed from the site plus any feeds from any other sites you wanted to add. These would be listed in an "available modules" area and go from there.

This can be done with simple XML repository by using current SourceForge.NET FRS, just one new category called STABLE Releases. There can go every module verified that will not cause troubles with current X release. And only few members to add modules there.

Also in XOOPS 2.5.6 must be added module dependability/conflicts check during installs. Eg. If the user want to install ALTSYS, the installer should tell him/her that this module is in conflict with RM Common Utilities.

With RSS, everyone can add files there, even Chronolabs Profile module. Until there is no strict policy for modules naming, such idea is very, very bad.
In that case the user will install Chronolabs Profile over X provided Profile module and if occurs a bug (with will happen often) to where will direct his post ?

Available modules can be:
- Those provided by Mamba
- Herve (with changes to blue move)
- Trabis (with changes to blue move)
- McDonald (with changes to blue move)
- Catz (with changes to blue move)
- Marcan (with changes to blue move)
- Solo (with changes to blue move)
... all the rest releases should go to group called Beta/Alpha/Q&A Team - to verify them as stable.

XML Repository can show few columns:
Column 1 - Name
Column 2 - Short description
Column 3 - Installed Version with optional link to update
Column 4 - Server Version with optional link to install
Column 5 - Module Site (Author site)

It's already done in MODx as full build-in Installer for extensions, and only as extension/core updater in J! 2.5.

Quote:

After this is accomplished and working I am going to look at revamping a download module. I was thinking of using wf-downloads because the last time I looked at the available modules wf-downloades seemed to be the most mature offering which would simplify things considerably.

WF-Downloads is good, but too old and limited, better wait with me for Bitcero RM Downloads/Transport from EXM. WF-Downloads needs to be rewritten from scratch.

redheadedrod

With the system I am looking at it will work similar to how the upgrade packages work for linux. Although it will NOT automatically install any modules. Any upgrades of modules will have to be done manually but notification of new modules being available will be the case. Dependencies as well as Incompatibilities will be available as well.

The idea is that with your default install you will have the xoops org thread and if you want to add a thread from chronoslab then you can do so or there may be links available to turn on if you so desire. Any modules will be listed in the associated thread. So you could actually have a module shown in more than one area if the author has their own thread setup and there is one in xoops.

Attending College working towards Bachelors in Software Engineering and Network Security.

DCrussader

Such FRS Extension is present, works with GForge and Joomla!. Just should be ported to here... and depend on the Linux, I'm using Gentoo with modified Portage to use GIT.

There should be only trusted files, eg.
Stable Repository (Final)
Unstable Repository (Alpha, Beta, RC, PR stages)
User Submitted Files, eg. new module developers, new module maintainers.

Otherwise if everything is allowed for everyone, Gentoo Stable will be worst distribution ever if every new packages without testing is added there freely. It's simple on every administrator's login to get ping to that repository and to check if there is new core update and full fetch list of the stable repository (or unstable for advanced users).

Quote:

The idea is that with your default install you will have the xoops org thread and if you want to add a thread from chronoslab then you can do so or there may be links available to turn on if you so desire.

This is not applicable, till there is not naming policy set. Not any rules for maintaining and forking modules.

Quote:

Any modules will be listed in the associated thread. So you could actually have a module shown in more than one area if the author has their own thread setup and there is one in xoops.

Sounds complicated even as idea....

In case current SF.NET FRS is used things can be simplified.

'repository' => 'stable',
'module' => 'module-name',
'version'=> 'module-version',
'provisions'=> 'plugin1, plugin2 etc.', (some modules provides plugins for additional modules, such as waiting, rss, whatsnew)
'deps' => 'dep1, dep2',
'guid' => 'b5942b655ba2d8592604c79af6b73dd8',
'native_key' => 1, (some modules are fully functional with 2.5.5, but they're using Legacy interface; so 1 for native, 0 for legacy)
'conflicts' => 'conflict1, 2, 3 etc.',

Everything in one XML for Stable and another for unstable. If this is done, Modules Repository on xoops.org can be done only for prestige :)

Login

Who's Online

140 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 140

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits