charpres
Best for articles management
  • 2004/1/30 20:46

• charpres

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/9/4 2

I've spent hours trying to decide what would be the best module to handle articles on my site. At a minimum, the module would have to easily wrap HTML and be XOOPS searchable. I installed and compared the latest versions of Cjay Content; Tiny Content; iContent; Free Content; WFSections; XFSections (1.04); and WFChannel. This is what I found (the "Power" rating is subjective on my part):

CJContent:
Power: Medium
Printing: No
Commenting: No
Has a good control panel. Uses a block with links and a main menu entry. You can add headlines to separate links in the block by putting ".." before the headline.

Tiny Content:
Printing: Yes
Commenting: Yes
Also allows an "email to friend" notice of articles. You can choose one topic as your Main Menu heading.

Free Content:
Power: Low
Handles blocks and a Main Menu entry.

iContent:
Power: High
Has many admin panel options. You can tracks page hits, create shortcuts to pages, rate pages, create directories.

Sections: (Edit: originally called WFSections by mistake)
Creates graphics for section links. This is a core module.

WFChannel:
Has a few installed pages ready to modify, like "Link to Us" and "Privacy Statement."

XFSections 1.04
Power: High
Does email notice of page, separate block can be enabled for most recent, today's most read and top articles. Can create several other blocks with articles information. Has the most powerful admin panel. You can even change the directory paths where HTML, graphics and other sources are kept. This is an important feature for me.

Anyway, these are some of my impressions of these modules and I hope it saves other folks some time in deciding which is best for them.

chippyash
Re: Best for articles management
  • 2004/1/30 21:06

• chippyash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/1/29

Where do you get XFSections? I did a google search and nothing came up. I'm not impressed with the built in (core) sections module as it doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of XOOPS 2 (i.e no ability to manipulate placement and doesn't tie in with themes). I'd like to give some of these others you have mentioned a look.

TIA
Ashley

charpres
  • 2004/1/30 21:39

• charpres

• Not too shy to talk

You probably didn't find it because I called it xfsections when it's actually xfsection.

You can get it here:http://linux2.ohwada.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?cid=1&lid=1

sunsnapper

You can also find it here in the XOOPS Module Downloads:
https://xoops.org/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=24&orderby=titleD

Charpres, that is a very helpful round-up of sections modules. Thanks.

Catzwolf
  • 2004/1/30 21:46

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Ok, beg me for asking here,

I think either you have been using the wrong version of WF-Sections or you are a kinda mixed up about the whole WF-XF thing here.

XF-Sections is WF-Section with bugfixes and nothing more. So how can you say that one has one thing but the other doesn't?

And WF-Sections is not a core module as yet, it will be as from XOOPS v2.6.0.

chippyash
  • 2004/1/30 21:56

• chippyash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/1/29

The Sections thing I have been using is the one that comes with the XOOPS 2 distribution that I downloaded 2 days ago. If WFSections/XFSections is something different I apologise for my ignorance.

Edit.. Downloaded and installed xfsection. At first glance it seems much more the sort of thing I'm after. Thanks all for your help.

Regards
Ashley

charpres
  • 2004/1/30 22:27

• charpres

• Not too shy to talk

"XF-Sections is WF-Section with bugfixes and nothing more. So how can you say that one has one thing but the other doesn't?"

Yes, excuse me for getting xfsections, wfsection, and wfchannels confused. The fact is, it is a bit confusing.

I'm just going by notes I jotted down while trying to run all of these at the same time and still keep track of which blocks were generated by which modules.

brash
  • 2004/1/30 23:46

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Quote:

WF-Sections is not a core module as yet, it will be as from XOOPS v2.6.0.

2.6.0??

Or do you mean 2.0.6 Catz? I've been hanging for development of this mod (wf-section) as I think it has one of the greatest potentials of all XOOPS modules. Anyway, I thought it wasn't to become core until 2.1.0, but I guess you just can't wait for a good thing .

charpres
  • 2004/1/31 1:03

• charpres

• Not too shy to talk

So, in hunting around for a while it seems that you can find xfsection, xfsections, and XF-Sections. Further, that XF-Sections 1.04 is a temp bug-fix version of WF-Sections that was called XF-Sections so it wouldn't be confused as an upgrade to WF-Sections and that when 2.0 is released, it will go back to be called WF-Sections. Is this correct?

Don't know why I am confused, it all makes perfect sense.

Catzwolf
  • 2004/1/31 1:15

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Quote:

brash wrote:
Quote:

WF-Sections is not a core module as yet, it will be as from XOOPS v2.6.0.

2.6.0??

Or do you mean 2.0.6 Catz? I've been hanging for development of this mod (wf-section) as I think it has one of the greatest potentials of all XOOPS modules. Anyway, I thought it wasn't to become core until 2.1.0, but I guess you just can't wait for a good thing .

LOL No I mean 2.1.0 It will be released well before then

Login

Who's Online

121 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 121

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits