Cifug
Data Import from Xoops-A site to Xoops-B site
  • 2013/1/31 2:24

• Cifug

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2007/12/13

Hi, I have a number of websites that I want to merge into one.

Is it possible to import the data from one xoops website into another xoops website. For instance I want to take all the "MyLinks Module" data from one site and put it onto another site and then discard the first site.

Is there an easy way to do this without having to input each link manually?

Thanks in advance,
Marty.

irmtfan
Re: Data Import from Xoops-A site to Xoops-B site
  • 2013/1/31 3:34

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

It is a kind of multisite feature and of course It would not be an easy feature to add in the whole xoops because you need to merge data in database.
eg:
in MyLinks in site1 you have 10 records indexed from 1-10
AND
in MyLinks in site2 you have 1000 records indexed from 1-1000

lets say you want to merge site1 into site2. in a final and complete process you have 1010 records.

but IMO a webmaster with a little experiences can do it manually via phpmyadmin.

zyspec
  • 2013/1/31 3:43

• zyspec

• Module Developer

• Since: 2004/9/21

As irmtfan suggests it depends on whether you are trying to 'merge' the data between MyLinks on Site 1 and Site 2. If you're wanting to merge the data then you would have to follow the path irmtfan suggests.

It could be relatively easy if you don't have data in MyLinks on the second site already. Then it's simply a matter of installing MyLinks on the second site and then importing the MyLinks tables from the first site into the second site using something like phpmyadmin.

Cifug
  • 2013/1/31 4:21

• Cifug

• Quite a regular

Yes, site2 has the MyLinks module but it is empty (zero links in it).

So, I download the MyLinks tables from the mysql db on site1 and then just upload them to the mysql db on site2 using phpmyadmin?

Sort of like doing a backup of site1 and restore to site2?

Different domain names is irrelevant?

zyspec
  • 2013/1/31 15:29

• zyspec

• Module Developer

• Since: 2004/9/21

Yes, and no.

Yes, you can copy the MyLinks tables directly into your Site 2 (new site) just like a restore from Site 1.

HOWEVER:

1) Comments from Site 1 won't follow to Site 2.

2) You may end up with permissions problems (depending on the version of MyLinks you're using) if your groups between Site 1 and Site 2 are different.

Cifug
  • 2013/1/31 21:16

• Cifug

• Quite a regular

Quote:
zyspec wrote:
Yes, and no.

Yes, you can copy the MyLinks tables directly into your Site 2 (new site) just like a restore from Site 1.

HOWEVER:

1) Comments from Site 1 won't follow to Site 2.

2) You may end up with permissions problems (depending on the version of MyLinks you're using) if your groups between Site 1 and Site 2 are different.

Thanks zyspec, I think the prefix is different also. I think it would be easier if I just insert them all manually. It's not a big collection, only a couple of hundred. Be done in an hour or 2. It was an attempt at laziness lol

Cheers,
Marty.

Login

Who's Online

196 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 196

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits