biomech
2.5.0 -> 2.5.5 Upgrade --> White Screens
  • 2012/8/6 1:58

• biomech

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/2/25

Hello,

I'm trying to upgrade 2.5.0 to 2.5.5. I thought the safest way to do this might be to go 2.5.0 -> 2.5.4 and then 2.5.4 -> 2.5.5 (because I saw a 2.5.0 -> 2.5.4 upgrade script in the repository, but didn't see one for 2.5.0 -> 2.5.5).

In an attempt to follow advice that I saw here:https://xoops.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=6284 , I deactivated all modules, removed my pm, profile, protector, and system module directories, and uploaded the contents of the new htdocs/ folder, making sure that xoops_data/ and xoops_lib/ were in the right places.

Now, when I vist my admin.php in my browser, I get a blank screen and am not sure how to proceed with the upgrade.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!

biomech
Re: 2.5.0 -> 2.5.5 Upgrade --> White Screens
  • 2012/8/6 2:58

• biomech

• Not too shy to talk

I also get a blank white page when I visit /modules/system/admin.php in the browser.

Thanks.

Mamba
  • 2012/8/6 5:42

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

I hope, you didn't overwrite your mainfile.php file.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

biomech
  • 2012/8/6 6:15

• biomech

• Not too shy to talk

Thanks Mamba!

No, I carefully set aside my mainfile.php file ahead of time and uploaded it after uploading the other files, so that's not it. (The mainfile.php perms are 0777.)

Anything else I might want to look at?

Thanks!

PS: Just for clarification, I can still see my user profile, and the newbb forums, etc., but I can't access /admin.php or /modules//system/admin.php

Mamba
  • 2012/8/6 6:36

• Mamba

Normally the potential issues are:

- old cache
- protector files in two directories
- protector preloads in mainfile.php
- wrong trustpath in mainfile.php
- modules having conflicts with a newer PHP version

Since you've deactivated the modules, the only thing that comes to mind is a potential conflict in your mainfile.php pointing to non-existing Protector directories or preloads.

Support XOOPS => DONATE

biomech
  • 2012/8/6 6:48

• biomech

• Not too shy to talk

Thanks Mamba,

As I edited my post above to mention, I can access module content, but not /admin.php or the module admin interface, both of which display blank pages.

As far as protector goes:
[~/www]# find ./ -name protector -print
./modules/protector
[~/www]# grep protector ./mainfile.php 
[~/www]# grep Protector ./mainfile.php 
[~/www]#

How do I flush my cache without having access to the admin menu? (I have shell and DB access.)

Edit: I read the FAQ on caching here:
https://xoops.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=771

but am a bit confused as to how to clear the cache when I can't access the admin interface, and don't want to break anything with the command line.

Edit-2: There are a _ton_ of "*.html.php" files in my templates_c directory with file change dates ranging from 2006-2010. Is is a good idea to delete these? (I created a backup dir for the content of templates_c and moved everything from templates_c into the new directory, then tried to access my site, but still get the blank white pages.)

Mamba
  • 2012/8/6 7:32

• Mamba

Quote:
How do I flush my cache without having access to the admin menu? (I have shell and DB access.)

In XOOPS 2.5.x, you go in your FTP and delete all the files in:

xoops_data/caches/smarty_cache
xoops_data/caches/smarty_compile
xoops_data/caches/xoops_cache

except the index.html files

Quote:
Edit-2: There are a _ton_ of "*.html.php" files in my templates_c directory with file change dates ranging from 2006-2010. Is is a good idea to delete these?

Yes, you can delete them all. XOOPS doesn't use it anymore.

I am still not sure why you have problems with /admin.php

Check in phpMyAdmin in _modules table if Protector is disabled (isActve set to 0)
Support XOOPS => DONATE

irmtfan
  • 2012/8/6 7:39

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

Quote:

I'm trying to upgrade 2.5.0 to 2.5.5. I thought the safest way to do this might be to go 2.5.0 -> 2.5.4 and then 2.5.4 -> 2.5.5 (because I saw a 2.5.0 -> 2.5.4 upgrade script in the repository, but didn't see one for 2.5.0 -> 2.5.5).

Do not need to do this tough work.
Just use the full 2.5.5

- remove mainfile.php favicon install and cache folder
- move upgrade folder to htdocs/upgrade
- replace all files in your website.
- follow /upgrade

from your sentences I think you didnt use upgrade folder?

please do the upgrade process. am i wrong?

biomech
  • 2012/8/6 8:15

• biomech

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:
In XOOPS 2.5.x, you go in your FTP and delete all the files in:

xoops_data/caches/smarty_cache
xoops_data/caches/smarty_compile
xoops_data/caches/xoops_cache

except the index.html files

Ok, done.

Quote:

Check in phpMyAdmin in _modules table if Protector is disabled (isActve set to 0)

Yes, it is set to 0.

Quote:
Just use the full 2.5.5

- remove mainfile.php favicon install and cache folder
- move upgrade folder to htdocs/upgrade
- replace all files in your website.
- follow /upgrade

I don't have an upgrade/ folder in the "xoops2.5.0-to-2.5.4.zip" I downloaded from Sourceforge.

Should I just go get the 2.5.5 files from Sourceforge and follow those instructions, or will that mess something up now that I've started down this path?

irmtfan
  • 2012/8/6 8:31

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

Quote:

I don't have an upgrade/ folder in the "xoops2.5.0-to-2.5.4.zip" I downloaded from Sourceforge.

I didnt download and study it but there should be an upgrade folder unless IMO this package has issues.

i just recommend using the full package xoops 2.5.5 is the best approach.

from this official news:
https://xoops.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=6284
Quote:

0. Verify the system requirements, in particular the version of PHP. Backup your XOOPS database and site directory. (There are several ways to do these actions, which are discussed elsewhere.) Turning your site off is optional.
Change the permissions on mainfile.php and /include/license.php to be writable, for example:
File Normal For upgrade
mainfile.php 400 700
/include/license.php 444 777
Get the correct update package from the SourceForge file repository.
1. In the upgrade package folder, move the "upgrade" folder inside the "htdocs" folder, if it's not already there. Remove the install folder from the "htdocs" folder, if it's there. Remove the mainfile.php file from the "htdocs" folder, if it's there.
If you've moved the xoops_data and xoops_lib folders outside your site's root directory, move these folders out of the "htdocs" folder in the upgrade package folder.
2. Delete the /modules/system directory on your current XOOPS site (to get rid of any old unnecessary files).
3. Overwrite the files in the XOOPS directory on your current XOOPS site with the content of "htdocs" folder of the upgrade package. (There are several ways to do this action, which are discussed elsewhere.)
As noted above, if relocated, overwrite the files in your current xoops_data and xoops_lib with the content of those in the upgrade package.
4. If you have Protector previously installed, open the "mainfile.php" file , and remove the Pre-check and Post-check lines (if they exist):
include XOOPS_TRUST_PATH.'/modules/protector/include/precheck.inc.php' ;
include XOOPS_TRUST_PATH.'/modules/protector/include/postcheck.inc.php' ;
5. At your site's address (URL), login as administrator. Access /upgrade/ with a browser, and follow the instructions (and any for updating your XOOPS database). After all updates have been applied (green checkmarks), note the link in the Updater to update the "system" module, and do so.
6. Delete the "upgrade" folder from your site's "htdocs" directory.
7. Update (reload) other modules, especially "Profile", "PM", and "Protector," if necessary.
8. Change permissions on the files noted above back to their normal state.
9. Turn your site back on, if you turned it off earlier.

It is the best approach so why bother yourself with other packages?

Edit:
I download xoops2.5.0-to-2.5.4.zip upgrade package now and there is an upgrade folder.
you should move it to htdocs/upgrade
please follow the instruction above.
But you have to upgrade from 2.5.0 to 2.5.4 and then from 2.5.4 to 2.5.5

I still think by using the full 2.5.5 package you can upgrade from 2.5.0 (or any other version) directly to 2.5.5 without further doing.

Login

Who's Online

226 user(s) are online (153 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 226

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits