wishcraft
Protector 3.5x - Intermitant Server 500 Error or WSOD

Some of the new features in protector like the SFS system seems to be causing a server 500 error or a wsod intermitantly with chronolabs.coop and other sites on my servers.

Some of you may have noticed this with chronolabs.coop over the past server months as the protector version which I have completely uninstalled to solve the issue is causing intermitant problems with the site, but on a regular cached interval.

I occasionally with it get a Server 500 error, but normally a WSOD occurs until you press F5/Refresh and then the page loads. just thought i would tell you what software I isolated causing this, lucky xortify is around to replace even protector.
Resized Image
www.ohloh.net/accounts/226400

Follow, Like & Read:-

twitter.com/RegaltyFamily
github.com/Chronolabs-Cooperative
facebook.com/DrAntonyRoberts

Roby73
Re: Protector 3.5x - Intermitant Server 500 Error or WSOD
  • 2012/4/26 1:29

• Roby73

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2011/6/15

I never had problems with protector.
in the site there are many users online, without problems.

Very good is anty spam on the forum.
The protector is a good defense without obvious errors.

Dante7237
  • 2012/4/26 14:25

• Dante7237

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2008/5/28

Like Roby, I have never had an issue with the Protector module, it's an essential piece of the CMS.

I consider Xortify in no way, shape or form a "replacement" for Protector.
Use it "in addition to", but not instead of..If you like.
The more I know, the more I know that I really didn't wanna know.

redheadedrod

Protector 3.5 is a beta version of Protector and the author of this module never finished it. Most use the last stable version which is included with xoops. Would be nice if the author would finish this but he left the xoops world a while ago.

So yes, the previous version works quite well.

And at this time there is no replacement for this module. Xortify or otherwise.
Attending College working towards Bachelors in Software Engineering and Network Security.

Anonymous
  • 2012/4/26 22:52

• Anonymous

• Since:

I like the Protector module as I like Xortify, both modules do a good job in blocking and banning bad people or ip addresses on nlxoops.nl. But still I find Xortify confusing when it comes to fine-tuning settings, I was happy Simon helped me out by logging in and changing settings so everything works well now.

Isn't it possible to merge Protector and Xortify to one Xoops protection module? With one dashboard and logfile, with simplified settings, so no rocket science is needed to keep protection running.

And merged or not, both modules should have a reporting function using mail to webmaster. I'd like to have an immediate notice when one of my sites is compromised or users are blocked or banned.

redheadedrod

Actually we should expect to see the best options of these make it into 2.6 at some point.

I would hope so anyhow...

Attending College working towards Bachelors in Software Engineering and Network Security.

Peekay
  • 2012/4/27 12:39

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

The Protector that comes with Xoops seems fine to me, although our htaccess file is doing most of the work now. Modules that open a permanent connection to a third party website seem like a security risk in themselves IMHO.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

redheadedrod

Depends on how the access to the external host is made. As long as you assume ANY data coming into your system is suspect and treat it accordingly you should be fine. NEVER trust anything 100%...

You should always sanitize ANY data you are processing to be displayed. The only exception might be data that you have already sanitized that is in the database or in files on your server that are not accessible to others.

One of the upgrades that will eventually make it into the newer xoops will be to use RSS feeds to track newer versions of module and core releases. This is one of the upgrades I plan to make once I am successful with the download module I will be starting soon. You will be able to pull from an unlimited number of sites to get updates on modules but I will have to sanitize the input to make sure no one sends anything they shouldn't.

I don't know if Xortify sanitizes that information.

Login

Who's Online

163 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 163

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits