biglove
RSS in Xoops 2.5
  • 2011/12/21 16:04

• biglove

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/8/18

Is RSS supported by a module or is it built into the Xoops system?

I've been using Xoops for a while, but when I tried to use the RSS link:

XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
Line Number 9, Column 24: <copyright>Copyright ￿ 2001-2004</copyright>

So, it seems that the RSS services are provided by the RSS module.

Is this Xoops Globall RSS hack the solution?
https://xoops.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=6080
Learn abouthttp://www.instantdirectmarketing.com and stay ahead of your competition and crush them with the science of marketing.

recupsoft
Re: RSS in Xoops 2.5
  • 2011/12/21 17:26

• recupsoft

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/10/30

No buit-in RSS reader... but it would be nice.

I use Feed2JS, (download).
FR/EN sites: OverFiles.com + TotalJeux.fr / FR seulement : Sos-Adsl.com + PlaneteFree.fr

redheadedrod

Xoops as far as I know does not have a universal RSS solution. There have been modules and hacks created but there is no real good RSS solution that has been designed in the core to handle the feeds. backend.php is the place that the rss feeds are handled now but I believe someone else can give you more information on this. I believe that this only handles news items at this time without using hacks or other modifications to it as it is. But I haven't really looked that hard into the backend.php source at this time.

Attending College working towards Bachelors in Software Engineering and Network Security.

biglove
  • 2011/12/21 18:33

• biglove

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/8/18

I'm not looking for an RSS reader, but rather to publish RSS feeds of Forum Topics.

How are RSS feeds published via Xoops?

I get the error I posted above when I try to view the RSS feeds from my Xoops site.

I'm going to attempt to use the Global RSS hack I posted the link to above.
Learn abouthttp://www.instantdirectmarketing.com and stay ahead of your competition and crush them with the science of marketing.

redheadedrod

Read my last message again please...

This is about providing feeds from xoops... Not reading them...

I believe that the stock backend.php is really only setup to share news feeds. To do anything else you have to hack the backend.php file and include whatever you want.

There is a module out there with the name "xoops2.4_xreaggregator_2.52" that will let you read RSS feeds for your site but I believe it is also supposed to somehow supplant backend.php to allow you to provide an rss feed as well.

This module was last done by wishcraft but I am unsure if he wrote it from scratch or if it was an old module updated.

Rodney
Attending College working towards Bachelors in Software Engineering and Network Security.

Peekay
  • 2011/12/22 14:13

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Quote:

biglove wrote:
I'm not looking for an RSS reader, but rather to publish RSS feeds of Forum Topics

CBB has an RSS feed. Go to the forum homepage and click the RSS button at the foot of the page. The feed was broken here on XO (giving the error you mentioned) but someone has fixed it.

The feed address is:

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/rss.php?c=0

You can also subscribe to individual forums by clicking the (RSS) link next to each forum title.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

Anonymous
  • 2011/12/22 16:31

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
CBB has an RSS feed. Go to the forum homepage and click the RSS button at the foot of the page. The feed was broken here on XO (giving the error you mentioned) but someone has fixed it.

As I am having the same problem with CBB RSS... Who fixed it and what did the trick?

Peekay
  • 2011/12/23 9:23

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

Not sure which version of CBB is used here. I don't use it, so I'm not sure whether RSS in the one in the module repository/sourceforge works.

If not, then I agree it would be very festive if someone can post the fix.

bjuti
  • 2011/12/23 10:00

• bjuti

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2009/1/7 2

Little offtopic... I need RSS reader for XOOPS. Just a simple thing like in WordPress to enter rss feed and headlines to be shown. Headlines* modules doesn't work for me.. all of them are buggy or simply doesn't work. I'm using a Javascript to fetch rss but google doesn't mind links embedded in JS...

Peekay
  • 2011/12/23 11:54

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

I installed the old XHLD Module in Xoops 2.5. (PHP 5.3) and it works well on the user side, but it needs updating to clear deprecated function notices and admin is a mess.

Would be simple enough for a novice developer to take on as a project? 95% of the work is already done.

Login

Who's Online

139 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 139

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits