behnt
Upgrading 2.0.16 to 2.5.1a
  • 2011/7/5 16:59

• behnt

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/4/17

I am looking at upgrading a old site from 2.0.16 to the latest but first problem I encountered is that the install instructions tell me to put the "upgrade" folder (this is in 2.5.1a) into the htdocs folder after unzipping the download. One small problem in the zip file there is no "upgrade" folder... Help?

Second where do I look to get someone to upgrade the site for me? I can do it but I would prefer to get someone to do it for me. Here is the site:
http://SolidMentor.com

Ben

wishcraft
Re: Upgrading 2.0.16 to 2.5.1a

I would be happy to do it for you ben, please contact me on skype, I charge competitive rates and an upgrade should only take around 40 minutes as long as there are no faults with modules.

You can get my skype or msn details from my profile here on xoops if you are logged in.

Simon
Resized Image
www.ohloh.net/accounts/226400

Follow, Like & Read:-

twitter.com/RegaltyFamily
github.com/Chronolabs-Cooperative
facebook.com/DrAntonyRoberts

PoisonLord
  • 2011/8/26 13:15

• PoisonLord

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/1/17

The only guy that I see answering things here is wishcraft...
That charge for his services, what is totally fine, but, where is the support for xoops?

I have the same problem, i am with an old site and donĀ“t know how to upgrade it...
Look like the project is kind over...

deepak267
  • 2011/8/26 13:42

• deepak267

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2008/8/15

To my limited knowledge, usually the release note has to instruction to upgrade from just previous version. i guess you have to describe your situation and ask for help. I am sure the community will share their views/experience. if you are looking for professional service then you mention in your request.

Few things to start with:
1. Have you tested your module on X2.5? if not this could be your bigger challange than Xoops core. there is a lot of change on PHP 5.3 and MYSQL side.
2. Is it an option for you to consider a fresh install with data migration(mey be applicable for static or simple sites)?

I am not a professional or a xoops exert, but will try my best to help you.

Good Luck
Deepak

A member of www.AquariumHomeCare.com

redheadedrod

I didn't see this message but going from the 2.0 series to the 2.5 series is going to likely run into ALOT of incompatibilities.

Before you go straight to 2.5.1a from 2.0.16 you may want to go to 2.4.5 and once you verify your modules work and all then upgrade to 2.5.1a to check for incompatibilities due to bugs in 2.5.1a.

Depending on what modules you are using there may or may not be newer versions that are compatible with 2.4.5 or 2.5.

Before attempting an upgrade you will want to first verify that your modules will work. Or find replacements for the modules you have.

Because you are going from such an older version you may find your modules don't work. Biggest issue is that 2.0.x series is based off PHP4 and the newer versions are based off PHP5.

Your best bet is to make sure you have everything backed up.. Unless you have some basic skills working with Databases you may be better served to have someone else upgrade this system for you.

Very dependent of the modules you have installed. Upgrading the main xoops core is pretty simple but once you have done that your modules might be broken if they are not compatible.

mboyden
  • 2011/8/27 22:22

• mboyden

• Since: 2005/3/9 1

My production installs are still on 2.4.5. I've started playing with 2.5.x from a production standpoint, but haven't yet made the switch for a number of reasons.

I provided some notes on upgrading 2.0.17 to 2.3.3b. And promised notes on 2.3.3b to 2.4.5, which I'm finally now linking to, stale as they are (written about a year ago - sigh).

There are a few differences from 2.4.5 to 2.5.1a, but this could get you to a good working solution to base a 2.5.1a final migration. I know a number of modules have had to be updated for 2.5.x from 2.4.x.

My info above is not like the detailed instructions written up for installing and configuring the software. It's more a set of notes and you will have to accommodate for those issues (or not) depending on your installation.

Hope that helps.
Pessimists see difficulty in opportunity; Optimists see opportunity in difficulty. --W Churchill

XOOPS: Latest | Debug | Hosting and Web Development

Login

Who's Online

219 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 219

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits