vmax2extreme
Migrating XOOPS on Linux to Windows, Please advise!

Hello,

I just took over our website and I dont know much about LINUX so since we are changing hosts right now, I would like to migrate over to Windows. Once I backup my HTML folder along with my databases, how do I go about restoring it over on a Windows server now? I know the current version is on 2.3.2 and I plan to upgrade to 2.5.1 after the migration is done and stable. Is the upgrade process simple too? Will my old modules break with the upgrade and how do you go about fixing them if they do?

Please help me!

Thanks in advance......

Mamba
Re: Migrating XOOPS on Linux to Windows, Please advise!
  • 2011/5/9 12:01

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

1) I would suggest to stay with Linux, and just keep the Website on a managed host, i.e. you don't have to deal with it directly.

2) The upgrade is relatively simple.

3) Without knowing which modules and what versions you have, it's hard to speculate. Most modules should work without any problems. If you tell us what you have, we can help you more...
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

jimmyx
  • 2011/5/9 23:37

• jimmyx

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2007/7/18

better try the upgrading process in localhost environment before trying in a live server

Good luck !!

redheadedrod

Also, you may want to upgrade to 2.4.5 before you try upgrading to 2.5.1 as 2.5 is still going through some bug fixes...

2.4.5 should work with most things. Biggest thing is the 2.4 series was setup to work with PHP5.

2.5.1 is mostly admin stuff and you don't gain much stuff with it. If you get everything working with 2.4.5 you will spend less "hair pulling" time trying to figure out stuff with 2.5.1. (2.5.1a is the latest I do believe...)

Rodney

wishcraft

You should find all you have to do is change the paths of mainfile.php and database settings in this file for MySqL. YOu might want to make sure you are using apache for Windows rather than IIS unless you know how to do active directories to replace .htaccess.

Should be a case of copying the /public_html directory over to the /wwwroot/ path for the windows host or /htdocs
Resized Image
www.ohloh.net/accounts/226400

Follow, Like & Read:-

twitter.com/RegaltyFamily
github.com/Chronolabs-Cooperative
facebook.com/DrAntonyRoberts

Login

Who's Online

119 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 119

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits