bigbearomaha
how far can I go?

I am trying to put together a locally installable program/server app that can run on Linux/Windows, heck even Apple computers.

This is a program for beekeepers/conservationists etc that need to track their bees, hives, management methods but don't want to trust their info to third party web based providers.

It is to be an inclusive app that accommodates a variety of hive types, bee types, management methods, etc...

I would prefer it to set up as a locally installed server that the end user can run one one computer, their own LAN, or web facing, depending on their needs.

It will need to be easily customizable to give those running it the ability to change logos, headers, banners, etc... as they choose, kind of like wordpress.

I want to ask the user to create a bee yard, then create a hive then ask them a) what type of hive is it leading to choices for "building" said hive based on the hive selected. Also asking the user to choose a management "style" ie.. "modern/chemical", 'naturalistic", Minimalistic/mixed" and so on, then allowing them to choose criteria for their observation checklists based on there chosen hive types and management styles.

I want to allow users to create database backups a la SMF forum administration.

I also want to allow style/appearance changes to the web front end similar to the way admin can customzize an SMF forum.

we want to create barcodes/identification numbers for individual hives to take advantage of new smartphone technology allowing the phone to snap a pic or "scan" the barcode on the hive and automatically take the user to the information entering area for that specific hive either via smartphone or just for their own purposes of identifying hives.

we want to allow the user to identify if a colony dies and allow the user to destroy the equipment or to put the equipment back into service for a new colony to come. I believe this will require uniquely identifying every piece of equipment in each "hive" which is a collection of parts.

all of these hive parts will need to be cross identified with hive types and management methods they can be associated with so as to be able to offer those items when those hive types and selections are made.

of course, the ability to print reports and blank forms that forms are based on will be desirable.

now, having said all that, I have been told that xoops may be a foundation for what I am trying to do, not being all that familiar with cms's, I come to the experts to see if it is feasible.

redheadedrod
Re: how far can I go?

What you talk about is likely easy to do but you will require custom modules. Your best bet is to contact a developer on this site and have them customize something for you or build something from scratch.

Just understand that the more custom you make it the more it will cost.

I am guessing it should be relatively simple for someone like simon (wishcraft) to build something like this for you from scratch.

The scanning from a cell phone may make it a little interesting unless you already have something that can accomplish that scanning and be able to then link it to the web site.

Rodney

wishcraft

Yeah well essentially XOOPS as a CMS will provide you the software Framework to do what you need it to do.. You will have to write some customised modules those for the application front of the framework, this will be the case with ALL CMS technologies and MVC Frameworks.

We have nothing currently that is out of the box in so speaking for hive management (I have 2 hives myself here in australia) - Rodney is right I would be able to build you modules from scratch that does this purpose you have with a framework.

Some of the components for example are already written though there is WURFL which will allow us to make a smart phone interface to the site for mobile access with a combination of multisite you could make for example m.yoursite.com for the smart phones to dial and look up HTML pages with data on them.

The more complex the program the longer it takes to write, i normally charge 35ph for GNU titles that is open source titles that are released and more for titles that are to be boxed in commercial or unreleased in house titles.

Quote:

The scanning from a cell phone may make it a little interesting unless you already have something that can accomplish that scanning and be able to then link it to the web site.

Personally i think just and Identity tag, like checksum for the hive would be best it can be keyed in on any HTML or XHTML complaint smart phone and then searched on.
Resized Image
www.ohloh.net/accounts/226400

Follow, Like & Read:-

twitter.com/RegaltyFamily
github.com/Chronolabs-Cooperative
facebook.com/DrAntonyRoberts

bigbearomaha

I appreciate your feedback on the possibilities of something like this within the xoops framework.

I wish I could afford to hire you. alas, I am going to have to depend on other enthusiasts who are willing to chip in to the project as volunteers and try to learn as much as I can on my own.

Login

Who's Online

179 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 179

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits