madDan
Multiple groups membership querey.
  • 2010/5/31 16:49

• madDan

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2010/1/6 1

Hi

I use a few groups on our site for various priviledges, with various people belonging to multiple groups.

Mainly restricting access to certain blocks and forum rights within cbb 3.08

I have done a clean rebuild of 2.4.4 over the last week as our hosts were blaming xoops for poor performance not letting go of various DB handles etc.

Hence I bit the bullet and did a total new build on a new DB and imported the data table by table - with no members on we still suffered slowdowns so our hosts moved the server we were on as it is shared another site could have been hogging the server but over the years with various moves before I took over the admin we have had performance issues and I wondered if something we have done could effect things.

Now I finally get to the question! phew!

Would having members belonging to various groups hit the performanceof the site at all, most users only really seem to use the forums.

Or would it have negligible impact upon the site?

Should I for instance take the time duplicate all the various permissions accross from a Registered user into the various custom groups I have along with those custom groups settings and then have each member only belong to a single set group?

I know it would be a bit of a repetitive task to go through - would I gain anything from it?

Cheers

ghia
Re: Multiple groups membership querey.
  • 2010/6/1 9:56

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

The permissions are additive. So, if a user belongs to two groups it get the permissions of group 1 and group 2.

This allows a number of strategies, wich don't matter much and are more of personal taste:
- base + extension
Every user is a registered user and can belong to one or more specific groups. The registered group has the permissions which everybody should have and in the second group only the added permissions are checked, which give a clear view of what the extended privilige means. Problem is when permissions in the registered users group are changed, it may affect the other groups.
- one group
Every user belongs only to one group and this group has all the needed permissions checked.

Any other combination is of course also possible.

I don't think you will gain much of any from it. More important are the used modules (some scale badly) and number of blocks and cache settings for the performance of XOOPS.

madDan
  • 2010/6/1 10:57

• madDan

• Not too shy to talk

Cheers for the reply

I am just trying to ensure that all settings on site are as co-operative as possible and something I am doing is not stupid so to speak.

I am following the latest Forum module posts with intrest as CBB 3.08 seems to be the highest hit performance wise on our site. In the past it seemed okay when logged out but when logged in it did seem to take a hit responsewise when in the forum.

Hence my complete new install of the whole site and trying to see what impacts various access priviledges had.

Seems to be running fine at the moment.

mboyden
  • 2010/6/1 14:53

• mboyden

• Since: 2005/3/9 1

What about caching? Both of the modules and the blocks. This could help your site tremendously, but I didn't see it mentioned.

The number of groups really shouldn't be an issue as the amount of program effort to go through one group vs a dozen to check permissions should be relatively negligible. Interestingly, too, XOOPS caches this in the session somehow because if your groups change, for the system to recognize this, you have to logout and then log back in. However, I've been know to be wrong.
Pessimists see difficulty in opportunity; Optimists see opportunity in difficulty. --W Churchill

XOOPS: Latest | Debug | Hosting and Web Development

madDan
  • 2010/6/1 19:59

• madDan

• Not too shy to talk

Modules and blocks all have cache-ing on within recommended limits

Forum unfortunately needs to be low as it is almost realtime in use.

I did remove the quick reply facility to slow down some rapid repliers!

Login

Who's Online

150 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 150

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits