Silmarwen
Problem with installing modules?
  • 2010/5/17 12:38

• Silmarwen

• Just popping in

• Since: 2010/5/16

Hi everyone.

I have just installed Xoops for the first time and I want to install some modules but there is no place to upload modules in the modules/admin area? I have tried uploading the modules to the modules folder via ftp but they still don´t show up in the modules page at my site? What am I doing wrong?
I´m used to working with Wordpress but I´m a complete noob when it comes to Xoops!
Any help/advise will be greatly appreciated

Peace,
~Silmarwen

zyspec
Re: Problem with installing modules?
  • 2010/5/17 13:23

• zyspec

• Module Developer

• Since: 2004/9/21

Instructions available here - https://xoops.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=90

You may want to read through the FAQs to get a better understanding of how to install modules, use templates, themes, etc...

kris_fr
  • 2010/5/17 15:05

• kris_fr

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2005/12/31

Silmarwen
  • 2010/5/17 16:17

• Silmarwen

• Just popping in

• Since: 2010/5/16

zyspec: Thanks, but I have already read them and it seems I have done everything thing right but still nothing shows up in my modules segment on my site (the module is visible on my host account just not on my actual website that is running on Xoops).
By the way, the Xoops installation I have is installed with Fantastico and is version 2.4.4 if that makes any difference?

kris_fr: thanks for the link to the tutorial video! I did exactly as the video showed but unfortunately it doesn´t work!
So I´m still one big question mark, lol

zyspec
  • 2010/5/18 12:51

• zyspec

• Module Developer

• Since: 2004/9/21

Have you checked all of your Xoops directory permissions - per the Xoops installation instructions? It may be that Fantastico didn't set directory permissions correctly which can cause some 'weird' behavior.

mboyden
  • 2010/5/18 14:46

• mboyden

• Since: 2005/3/9 1

I'd run with the permissions problem. I doubt that it's a problem with the permissions of directories and files with XOOPS as I'd assume your hosting company knows how to get Fantastico working on their servers, that and Silmarwen said that XOOPS was working itself.

However, sometimes the files uploaded or unzipped or untarred and moved into the modules directories don't match those in the rest of the installation.

Make sure the new modules directories and their files are generally the same permissions as those on the XOOPS directories and files (and the system module).

Also, I highly recommend, after you get things going, to start over without the Fantastico installation. I've seen people have problems with those. Personally, I think Fantastico (and Softaculous) is a great resource for trying out some of the popular PHP apps, but a production setup should be done carefully by hand. Just one opinion.
Pessimists see difficulty in opportunity; Optimists see opportunity in difficulty. --W Churchill

XOOPS: Latest | Debug | Hosting and Web Development

Login

Who's Online

506 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 506

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits