chefry
webmastersof.com
  • 2010/1/8 15:39

• chefry

• Home away from home

• Since: 2006/10/14

Is anyone here a member of this website?

I want a "free" theme from there and because they advertise that their themes are "FREE", I refuse to pay 40$ to be a member and download one theme

I'm looking for the XOOPS "School Kids" theme

TIA!

ghia
Re: webmastersof.com
  • 2010/1/8 16:07

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Other people that have bought the membership have not the right to share their account, nor to distribute downloaded materials. Do not tempt them to illegal activities!

The themes are free for members, who payed their membership. If you can not aford or willing to pay the 40$, look for another theme in the 1000 free themes in the XOOPS repository.

Why do you want especially that theme?

sailjapan

Man, that's a boring theme...
Why don't you try something more interesting from over here (432 to choose from) or here (530+ to choose from)?

I'm sure you can do better than that schoolkids one!

chefry
  • 2010/1/10 0:19

• chefry

• Home away from home

Because most of them are boring, and not suiteable for a school

as for someone who is a member downloading the theme for me, i don't see it as "illegal"

It's also "illegal" in most civilized countries to advertise that some thing is "free" then charge you 40$ to access it

Mamba
  • 2010/1/10 0:38

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
It's also "illegal" in most civilized countries to advertise that some thing is "free" then charge you 40$ to access it

I think, there is a misunderstanding of what "free" means here. It's "free" once you pay the "entrance fee" which is $40, so I don't believe that you'll find many countries where this would be "illegal".

ghia
  • 2010/1/10 1:29

• ghia

Quote:
as for someone who is a member downloading the theme for me, i don't see it as "illegal"
Well it is!
In civilised countries, you are bound by a contract, and that comes with all its terms and conditions, that were agreed between the two parties.

If you are not willing to p(l)ay your part of the bargain, you have the choice of not being involved.
Reading only partially the terms and conditions is no ground for accusing people of illegal activities.
I see only one illegal act here, and that is trying to let other people break their legally bound agreement.

Is the theme worth 40$?
Ask yourself, can I make it myself? How many time (and (by the hour rate) money) will it cost me for making it? Are the 'boring' alternatives 40$ less beautiful?
Then you know if you have to buy it.
If not, walk away and don't look back.

chefry
  • 2010/1/10 10:56

• chefry

• Home away from home

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and at this point our opinions disagree.

If you search for "free" XOOPS themes, they come up in the search. There is no mention of payment anywhere on their website until you try to download one of their "free" themes. That's also illegal, it's called "bait and switch"

ghia
  • 2010/1/10 12:04

• ghia

Quote:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and at this point our opinions disagree.

Yes, but yours is based on false assumptions.
Quote:
If you search for "free" XOOPS themes, they come up in the search.
That is a problem of Google, but free does not always mean gratis. And you can not obtain rights on the results of a search machine.
Many sites advertise with free downloads, when the (shareware) programs come with a license that ask you to pay when you will use the program. There is nothing wrong about that.
Quote:
There is no mention of payment anywhere on their website until you try to download one of their "free" themes.
Come on!
You must be blind!
It is very prominent showed on their front page! You can't miss the amount in the center. There are also the terms and conditions and the FAQ.
It seems an example of an honest site, where potential users are well informed about the costs and the conditions.
That you enter the site by a sideway via a search engine link, is not detrimental to that.
Quote:
That's also illegal, it's called "bait and switch"
That is something different and absolutly not the case here.

vamptrix
  • 2010/1/10 13:04

• vamptrix

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2008/5/3 1

That's an ugly and dull theme anyway... certainly not worth 40 $. Not any of them is! They look like the default theme with a few tweaks and another (streched) header.

sailjapan

Quote:
They look like the default theme with a few tweaks and another (streched) header.

My point exactly.

Login

Who's Online

193 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 193

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits