edmmachine
I cannot access my control panel
  • 2009/8/26 14:49

• edmmachine

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/2/12

First, please talk to me like I'm a child. I had someone helping me with this, and he has since "retired" so I'm trudging through without knowing a thing about this.
Please be gentle with me!

I don't know what happened to my site. One day it worked, the next day it didn't. There are several problems. First, I cannot access my control panel. It's blank. All i see is the "Powered by XOOPS 2.0.15"

I went to my file manager and added the debugging code as it stated in the faq's and it isn't generating any errors to tell me what's wrong.

Second, one of my pages gives me this error:

Quote:
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_CONSTANT_ENCAPSED_STRING in /hermes/bosweb/web097/b977/ipw.mafiaboa/public_html/modules/mxdirectory/index.php on line 87

That error happened before the control panel disappeared.

Can you tell me where to start please??? I know you can't help me until I help you...but I don't know what to do to help you help me.

Thank You
Lisa

Mamba
Re: I cannot access my control panel
  • 2009/8/26 15:23

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

It seems like your host switched to PHP5.

Check with you host about it.

You have an old XOOPS version, so you might need to install an upgrade. But some of the modules (which are probably old as well) might not work with PHP5 either, and cause empty pages as well.

Most important thing - make backup of all your files and the database, before you make any further changes.

edmmachine
  • 2009/8/26 15:49

• edmmachine

• Just popping in

Thank you very much for your response. If that's what happened, that's great cuz they will have to fix it.

But...if they upgraded to php5, what do I do about my site??? Do I have to redo the whole thing?

Thank you
Lisa

ghia
  • 2009/8/26 18:09

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

To be sure if your hoster has switched from PHP 4 to 5, you have to ask him.
If he moved you from server, check if the physical file path still matches the definition in mainfile.php (path as in the error message: check with file manager).

It could be some other things too.
Are the normal user pages working or is the complete site generating white pages?
Do you have the Protector module installed?

Try to empty your /cache and /templates_c directory with the file manager (except index.html).

For the mxdirectory error, we need to know what version it is (look in /modules/mxdirectory/xoops_version.php) or what is on that line 87 in index.php (use your online editor from file manager or use Notepad++ on your local PC).

edmmachine
  • 2009/8/26 19:44

• edmmachine

• Just popping in

Thank You Ghia!
I will try to answer your questions but I'm not very good at this! I will be your problem child until this is resolved I think. Please have patience with me. LOL!

Quote:
To be sure if your hoster has switched from PHP 4 to 5, you have to ask him.

I asked, and my host did change to PHP5, but I was able to change it back to PHP4. I did that, and I still cannot access my control panel. ( I CAN get to the XOOPS news from the control panel...and I could before but forgot to add that in my first post).

However, now the other error message has changed...

Quote:
If he moved you from server, check if the physical file path still matches the definition in mainfile.php (path as in the error message: check with file manager).

I don't know how to do this. I'm sorry. I should change my userid to "clueless"

Quote:
It could be some other things too.

I looked at that before bothering you guys. The only one I was able to do was #3 "edit the file "include/common.php". Near line 83, change "error_reporting(0);" to "error_reporting(E_ALL);".

Quote:
Are the normal user pages working or is the complete site generating white pages?

In control panel, I can see some things - the very top banner with the XOOPS admin logo on the left, version on the right, then under that is control panel home & XOOPS news on the left, and logout & home page on the right. Under that it says what version of XOOPS I am using. Everything else is blank.

HOWEVER, the mxdirectory page is now completely WHITE rather than giving me the error now - since changing to php5

Quote:
Do you have the Protector module installed?

No, I don't have Protector installed

Quote:
Try to empty your /cache and /templates_c directory with the file manager (except index.html).

I am working on that now. I need to do a backup, but wanted to post what I've done so far before you all leave work - if that's where you happen to be helping me from. The cache does take a long time to open. I'm just afraid to delete everything else without doing a backup first

Quote:
For the mxdirectory error, we need to know what version it is (look in /modules/mxdirectory/xoops_version.php) or what is on that line 87 in index.php (use your online editor from file manager or use Notepad++ on your local PC).

At the top it says this:
<?php
// $Id: xoops_version.php,v 1.16 2003/03/30 01:51:59 mvandam Exp $

Down a little bit it says this:
$modversion['name'] = _MI_XDIR_NAME;
$modversion['version'] = 3.01;

From the index.php, line 87 and the few lines after read:

$subcategories .= "<a
"href="".XOOPS_URL.""/modules/" . $xoopsModule->getVar('dirname') . "/viewcat.php?cid=".$ele['cid']."">".$chtitle."</a>";
$space++;
$chcount++;
}
}
$xoopsTpl->
append('categories', array('image' => $imgurl, 'id' => $myrow['cid'], 'title' => $myts->htmlSpecialChars($myrow['title']), 'subcategories' => $subcategories, 'totallink' => $totallink, 'count' => $count));
$count++;
}

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

ghia
  • 2009/8/26 20:11

• ghia

The line should be:
$subcategories .= '<a href="' XOOPS_URL '/modules/' $xoopsModule->getVar('dirname') . '/viewcat.php?cid=' $ele['cid'] . '">' $chtitle '</a>';

It is still not clear which modules are working and what not. Is there a link?

edmmachine
  • 2009/8/26 20:37

• edmmachine

• Just popping in

OH! THANK YOU! THAT WORKED!!! One problem solved!!!!

That's the only module that wasn't working. EXCEPT for the XOOPS control panel...but that's not a module, is it?

There is no link, cuz you have to log in as an administrator and that requires a password....

Thank you!!!!
Lisa

ghia
  • 2009/8/26 23:33

• ghia

What theme are you using?
Try once the default.

edmmachine
  • 2009/8/27 0:38

• edmmachine

• Just popping in

I'm sorry...How do I find out the theme I'm using, and how do I try the default so I can get my theme back easily.

This is why I posted in the beginners forum!

dbman
  • 2009/8/27 1:23

• dbman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/4/28

from the control panel:
preferences->general settings
Change the value in the default theme selection box to default, click the go button at the bottom of the forum to save your changes. You may have to logout and log back in to see the default theme.

Login

Who's Online

141 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 141

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits