hervet
nuSoap
  • 2009/8/10 16:08

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/11/4

What's the interest to use it ?
Php 5 comes with, by default, a SOAP server.

How long are we going to use some completly obsolte technologies ?

Mamba
Re: nuSoap
  • 2009/8/10 17:11

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
Php 5 comes with, by default, a SOAP server.
How long are we going to use some completly obsolte technologies ?

I don't know the details about this particular implementation, but if the PHP5 has a SOAP Server that can be used, then we could use it starting with XOOPS 2.5, which is planned to be PHP5 only.

hervet
  • 2009/8/10 17:25

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

So it's useless to develop some technologies that are already obsoletes !

Mamba
  • 2009/8/10 18:39

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

It's not useless for users who cannot (for whatever reason) use PHP5.

Hervet, I agree with you that once we move to PHP5 only, we should use PHP5 solutions.

However, XOOPS 2.4 is still supporting PHP4.

If I read you correctly, in your opinion, we shouldn't include any SOAP solution with 2.4, and wait for 2.5 to provide a PHP5 native SOAP solution, correct?

hervet
  • 2009/8/11 8:08

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

No, Php5 should already be supported, that's all.
Taking late with support for Php 5 is giving late to Xoops, one more time.

When I see the time required to release a version (when it is released) I can imagine that the 2.5 will be released in, at least, 1 year.

Xoops will be, one more time, the last project to support something, in this case Php 5.

ghia
  • 2009/8/11 9:17

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Quote:
Xoops will be, one more time, the last project to support something, in this case Php 5.
What do you mean by PHP 5 is not supported by XOOPS?
All my sites run on PHP 5!

hervet
  • 2009/8/11 9:43

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

I mean that XOOPS SHOULD require Php 5.

kaotik
  • 2009/8/11 9:51

• kaotik

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/2/19

hervet is right about standard adoption. PHP 5 should be the standard used in XOOPS and not php 4. This places XOOPS behind all other frameworks and cms's.
If you read the developers blogs over at PHP, they are considering; for php 6; dropping all deprecated and dead code prior to php 3.
Also supporting this logic, most hosting providers already have php 5 on their servers. Although some might allow you to run the older version using .php4
It's good to see XOOPS adopting new technology that makes for richer web 2.0 sites such as jquery, but php is still the cornerstone of all that is xoops.
I understand that some sites use older XOOPS versions. The logic that they won't update if this current XOOPS doesn't support their modules/server setup is also flawed. All sites eventually need to be updated due to the nature of the web. Even huge sites such as BBC or Amazon get revamped evey now and then. They do this to keep users visiting their sites. This is especially important for corporate sites. Of course the more time you wait to update a site, the more work you will have. This is a consequence. So we shouldn't use this argument as a block from keeping XOOPS from going full php 5.
Another point is one hervet has already stated. XOOPS versions aren't released that often, as such, if we leave full php 5 for the next version, XOOPS modules won't see xoops/php5 features for another +/- 2 years: 1 year for the next version and another year before modules come out fully supporting php5 from xoops. This would place us even more behind other cms's.

trabis
  • 2009/8/11 11:00

• trabis

• Core Developer

• Since: 2006/9/1 1

My thoughts:
- We should have NOT touched API, adding functions, classes. This was due to not having a clear roadmap. For me DJ was clear enough when he proposed a bug fix release and "don't touch what is working". Things went out of control because there was no control.
- Does not make much sense talking about refactoring until we move to php5. We should do it asap but, as soon as we release a bug free 2.3(now 2.4).
- I think 2.4 is acceptable (after some ERM reverting), but I am not comfortable with it. I would prefer go back to 2.3.3, do nothing more than bug fix, and release 2.3.4.

smithy
  • 2009/8/11 12:19

• smithy

• Just popping in

• Since: 2009/8/11

strange do you not support goPHP5? because you promote it in your powered by block on the right >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

the whole idea of goPHP5 was to STOP writing and supporting PHP4 and move completely to PHP5.

so why are you promoting and supporting something that you aren't actually doing??? and yes it is totally hindering your progress..

Login

Who's Online

201 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 201

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits