etcetera
Backing Up
  • 2009/6/13 18:19

• etcetera

• Just popping in

• Since: 2009/6/13

Humor the web-illiterate.

I'm in the process from moving my old site (running on XOOPS 2.0.16) to both a new location and to XOOPS 2.3.3. Which folders/files do I need to back up and/or alter from my old site to retain all user data across the move?

Also, in moving from newbbex (version 1.4 I believe) to CBB 3.0.8, is it possible to retain posts? (In layman's terms, please.)

ghia
Re: Backing Up
  • 2009/6/13 19:18

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

- Take a backup of your existing site (files and db)
- Install 2.3.3 on your new site.
- Upgrade your old site to 2.3.3 (see release notes)
- Backup your database of the old site and restore it on the new (phpMyAdmin export - import). (In between, check links in the db to the old site and replace them by the new site domain)
- Copy additional files as uploads, photo albums, themes, customisations, etc. from old to new.

On XOOPS France, Eparcyl has done the opposite direction from CBB to NewBBex. Last week he wanted D3Forum and he converted back from NewBBex to CBB, because from there was an import function in his D3Forum.
I asked if he saved the required SQL commands. (He reversed the ones from the opposite conversion (see link in his post))

anderssk
  • 2009/6/14 11:15

• anderssk

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2006/3/21

Careful.
You old site probably runs encoding ISO-8859-1
Xoops 2.3.3 runs encoding UTF-8.

If you use special characters they will be converted to "funny signs"

If you are using local characters in UTF-8

- Take a backup of your existing site (files and db)
- Install 2.3.3 on your new site using ISO-8859 in the database
- Upgrade your old site to 2.3.3 (see release notes) - keep ISO-8859
- Change language/global.php to ISO-8859 instead of UTF-8 (the button of the file) (both sites)
- Backup your database of the old site and restore it on the new (phpMyAdmin export - import). (In between, check links in the db to the old site and replace them by the new site domain)
- Copy additional files as uploads, photo albums, themes, customisations, etc. from old to new.

etcetera
  • 2009/6/15 20:01

• etcetera

• Just popping in

• Since: 2009/6/13

Thank you both for the help. I upgraded my existing site successfully and copied the class/cache/ and class/file/ folders to the XOOPS installation on the new domain... and none of the users' data transferred with it. Did I misunderstand you?

And, though it is not a priority, have you heard any word on whether the user you mentioned still has the files he used in converting his forums from newbbex to cbb?

Grazi grazi.

sailjapan

user data (and most content) is stored in the database, not in the files on your http server.
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

ghia
  • 2009/6/16 10:38

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

You should not copy the cache directories.
As said by sailjapan use import/export on your database to transfer the user data.

Unfortunatly, Eparcyl didn't save the used SQL commands.
All I know is, he reversed his original ones. eg
insert into newbbextable fieldlist select fieldlist from newbbtable => insert into newbbtable fieldlist select fieldlist from newbbextable

Login

Who's Online

248 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 248

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits