barryc
Profile module: Problems with date fields
  • 2009/4/8 17:47

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/3/20

I have recently updated my site to XOOPS 2.3.3, and have imported my Profile data from the 2.2.4 site into the new Profile module. I am actually working on a duplicate site so that I can identify and fix problems before using this as my live site.

There are some problems with the date fields in Profile.

1. If I use the drop down calendars to try to enter a date, they do not work. If I click on some date, it is not entered. I can enter the date directly in the text box. Similarly, I cannot change month or year. The calendar just disappears.

2. When those drop down calendars are open, the icons for the other drop down calendars show through. 1 & 2 are presumably related problems. It appears the calendars are not in front so are not accessible.

3. If I try to make the XOOPS 2.3.3 default date fields (web site registration, last log in) not searchable by a group, it breaks the search function. Only a single line with part of the expected result appears. I can make my custom date fields not searchable but not the XOOPS defined date fields.

4. The sort order of the results does not respect the weighting that I have entered for the fields. One should be able to define the sort order of results as well as what results appear.

5. Default dates are entered in those date fields. This can be confusing because if a user doesn't realize they have to change them, it will mess up their result. One should be able to search a single item, but the automatic entering of a default date field, in fact, makes that impossible. It would be better to enter null by default, as in the old Profiles module.

6. Every search field has an asterisk next to it, implying that it is a required field. That is not the expected, or in fact the actual, behavior. One should be able to, and can, search on any single field. Are these asterisks generated by the module or by the core? I have noticed the same problem in other modules with search forms, such as the Classifieds module. Also note that there is a "stray" asterisk at the bottom of the search form but its meaning is not defined.

As this is a site under development I can provide any moderator or developer who wants to check these problems out with access.

I'd certainly like to fix these problems before making replacing my live 2.2.4 site with this 2.3.3 site.

Thanks for any comments or help.

Barry Cooper
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

barryc
Re: Profile module: Problems with date fields
  • 2009/4/13 17:51

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

Nobody has any comments or suggestions on these problems? Are they just on my system or are they problems with the Profile module?

I appreciate any comments.

Barry
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

ghia
  • 2009/4/13 22:37

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

I think this corrects point 1.

barryc
  • 2009/4/14 1:18

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

No, I'm afraid not. I have changed that code in register.php and the problem persists even after clearing the cache. If you go to http://www.aka.org/aka23/ and click on Find Members, you can see what I mean in points 1 & 2. You can change one of those default dates by over-typing the date in the text box, but you cannot use the drop down calendars. I cannot be sure that this is a general problem or one specific to my site for some reason.

The other problems are important too. I'd appreciate hearing further comments.

Personally I think putting in default dates in these search boxes is potentially confusing to users. I would prefer null values that do not affect the search, as was the case in the old version of Extended Profiles. Also, in this version you are allowed to make the default date fields not searchable, but if you do, it breaks the search function, at least on my installation.

BC
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

Login

Who's Online

583 user(s) are online (161 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 583

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits