PierreWerner
Banning a user?

Hello,

I wanted to know if there was a way to find a registered user's ip address, so that I can ban then. When a registered user posts a comment in the news module, his ip address appears an I can then ban him. However if the registered user only posts in the forums, no ip address is given to I can't ban him only delete his user name.

So I was wondering if there was a way to ban a registered user's ip address, who only posts in the forums?

Thank You

webmystar
Re: Banning a user?
  • 2009/1/7 20:37

• webmystar

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2008/6/23

you can look in the session table ...

PierreWerner

I know this is going to sound dumb but where would I find the session table? I looked for it in system and and forum.

Thanks for the help webmystar

Mamba
  • 2009/1/7 23:50

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

It CBB 3.08 (I don't know about the others), you can see the IP of the poster.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

trabis
  • 2009/1/8 1:03

• trabis

• Core Developer

• Since: 2006/9/1 1

Quote:

PierreWerner wrote:
I know this is going to sound dumb but where would I find the session table? I looked for it in system and and forum.

Thanks for the help webmystar

Look in the database, you must have created one while installing xoops.

ghia
  • 2009/1/8 1:44

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Look the IP up in the Apache logs and correlate the posting time with the log times together with the URL of posting.

Note if you want to ban a user by IP and it is not done from a server, but from an (adsl or cable) modem its IP address can change. That means he can post later under another IP or the banned IP can become assigned to a regular user. If it is from abroad where no users are to be expected, ban the net.
For maximum system efficiency and minimal risk, ban with Apache and .htaccess and not trough Protector or XOOPS.

If users can post without login, provide at least a captcha (or Du Gris Security Image) or better revoke permissions for it.
If it is a logged in user, disable him (not delete him) or create a group with no rights at all and make him member of that group (and only that one).

PierreWerner

Mamba,

That's exactly what I was looking for CBB3.08 let's ban a user ip address if they only post in my forums.

I wanted to ask you what other modules should I update too. For example, my video module is very nice. If you go to my site,http://medicalmarijuanareferrals.com/modules/videotube/
you'll notice the main video shows up nicely but the other videos are text only. I was wondering if there was a better video module that you recommend?

I am using video tube 1.7

I hope I don't overwhelm you but I also wanted to ask you if knew of a module similar to one in cannabisnews.com titled "oldernews" placed on the right side of there website.

We placed recent news there but the problem was that it linked all the news posted. I want to exclude the first 30 articles that I post on the front page.

Again, thank You for your forum update link
Pierre Werner

noo-b
  • 2009/1/8 4:09

• noo-b

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2007/10/23

try upgrade videotube to the latest version 1.81

https://xoops.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=4596

demo:http://www.customvirtualdesigns.com/modules/videotube/
I Love Xoops

Login

Who's Online

138 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 138

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits