MrGrey
Best choice among Xoops news modules (articles, ezines, advanced blogs)
  • 2008/11/6 11:58

• MrGrey

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/4/13

Xoops news-style modules

Please tell wich features and /or characteristics you find most positive with XOOPS news, articles, advanced blogs and /or Zmagazine modules.

In some ways also small ezines, small news-sites and advanced blogs have some resemblance.

1) Is "news" nessessary best for news, etc?
2) Surely U have some smart trix, tips'n hints on this!
2) Which is the easiest to learn and manage?

There are some to choose among:

News 1.62
AMS 2.51 /52 (?)
Article
Articles
Altern8news
Zmagazine
Makale Module
Xpress (Wordpress)
LifeType.
Content ____(added by JAVesey, below)

X-center ___?

Please tell if any nice alternatives should be added (and why)?

sailjapan
Re: Best choice among Xoops news modules (articles, ezines, advanded blogs)

"News" is a solid and easily administered news module. I use it on almost all my sites.

"AMS" confuses me. It seems feature laden (in a good way) and I dare say that if I spent more time experimenting I'd get to like it.

"Article" is great, a very versatile module, but still RC. Not for production sites yet.

"Altern8news", "Zmagazine" & "Makale Module" are unknown to me.

"Xpress" is the same as wordpress, easily maintained and able to have multiple authors. Seems like overkill on top of XOOPS if you just want a blog. Sadly not a port of wordpressMU which would be very useful in that one could offer blogs to your users.

"Lifetype" doesn't work with 2.3.x (sadly) this module offered the possibility to give blogs to users, but is now sadly broken. Anyone feel like fixing it?

All the above are my personal opinion. Of course.
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

iHackCode

Altern8news looks like it is based on the news module and is many years old. so i would recommend the News module over the Altern8news.
CBB / LatestNews / Publisher / XM-Spotlight

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Anonymous
  • 2008/11/6 15:07

• Anonymous

• Since:

Can't go wrong with the News mosule IMHO.

There are other "article" modules.... "Content" was released just a few days ago and is written for XOOPS 2.3.x.

AMS is also written for 2.3.x and i am seriously considering migrating my articles to it.

MrGrey
Re: Best choice among Xoops news modules (articles, ezines, advanced blogs)
  • 2008/11/7 12:24

• MrGrey

• Just popping in

Alternatives are pointless?
Resistance is futile!

Hi all! Thanks Sailjapan ...must really ask. Is News 1.56 /1.62 in practice favoured in some way?

If "News" is all that outstanding in all /most aspects, why do folks bother about coding new article /magazine modules?

If the assortment of modules in the repository at all should be motivated, surely there must be some reason for alternatives!?

Anonymous
  • 2008/11/7 12:53

• Anonymous

• Since:

Sorry Mr Grey, perhaps thr meaning of my post wasn't clear

What I meant to say was:

"For news postings and management, the IZ News module has become the "de facto" standard due to its features and because it continues to be actively developed and supported. So far as I'm aware, it's the only one of the news-type of modules that has been updated for XOOPS 2.3.x (although the others may still work fine).

Like myself, many (most?) folks like to keep their articles and content in a "content" module.

There are a number of these modules including:

AMS 2.51 (updated for XOOPS 2.3.x)
Article 2 (RC currently being tested)
Content (updated and recently re-released)
SmartSection (currently at v 2.14 which needs the SmartObject Framework)
Articles (not the same as "Article")
WF-Sections
etc.

The "content" type of modules are, of course, developed with this use in mind and have features to match.

Of course, there's nothing to stop the News module from being used for "content" or a "content" type module being used for news, and there are many example of both."

As with all modules, when it comes to choosing which one is for you, in addition to the features, you should always take into account which modules are still being developed and supported.

Hope that's better?

MrGrey
  • 2008/11/7 15:07

• MrGrey

• Just popping in

Buried in a pile of news!

Uuuhuu. Okay, let's go... First I must say that the repository goes a little confusing here. ...for short, there should be a departement for "Publishing". (general mixup between p2p communications and group /community communications.)

Could U describe the difference between a news and a content module in your sense? (this is not easy, specially not for non english natives)

If aiming on the modules prepared for 2.0.x & 2.3+, is it possible to characterize them wise or put a descriptive "tag" on them? What puts them apart? (some oppinions allready given)

The people who wrote them must surely had some nice intentions. Some reached, others perhaps not.

Frontside, admin, features in each side, easy to use, organizing versus lay-out-features etc.... scertainly there must be ton of parts to understand and take advantage from!?

Wouldn't it also be sad if the "wrong" modules fall into the big sleep...?

sailjapan

I use 'News' for short, time sensitive reporting of things relevant to my readers now. Imagine the front page of a newspaper. I can probably finish a news article in 5 to 15 minutes including a few minutes in photoshop preparing an image to accompany it... The news article will fit easily into a pre-determined category and will display on the top or front page.

I use 'Content' modules for more detailed articles, essays/reports/analysis/opinion/instructional type content. Imagine the "Features" section of a newspaper.
I'll spend half a day working on the article in a text processor, preparing graphics etc. and may well need to include a table or other formatting in the final article. It will be a little more difficult to classify than a News story. My 'Content' articles section will have many more categories than 'News'.

I don't always need both types of module in a given site.
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

Anonymous
  • 2008/11/7 17:39

• Anonymous

• Since:

^^^^
Exactly

Look at the index page of the News module and you'll typically see either the news items themselves or a summary of the "scoops".

Look at the index page of a content module and you'll probably see a list of categories in which the articles site

Horses for courses, as they say.

MrGrey
  • 2008/11/8 10:00

• MrGrey

• Just popping in

Quote:

sailjapan wrote:
I use 'News' for short, time sensitive reporting of things relevant to my readers now. ...//cut

I use 'Content' modules for more detailed articles, essays/reports/analysis/opinion/instructional type content. ...//cut

My 'Content' articles section will have many more categories than 'News'.

I don't always need both types of module in a given site.

To get a further closeup... Lets say U made it turned a round. I hope that pin point the different characteristics for the module type.

A) Use a content module for many and frequent small news notices...
B) Use the news module for 10.000+ letter featured articles.

What would be the limitation or problem in each case?

Quote:

JAVesey wrote:

Look at the index page of the News module and you'll typically see either the news items themselves or a summary of the "scoops". ...//cut

Is there a "comment link" for that page? (make own comment)

Login

Who's Online

219 user(s) are online (156 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 219

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits