bumpeboy
How to hide profile field
  • 2008/10/21 23:00

• bumpeboy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2008/10/4

I would like to have a profile field Tel. But i want the users to have the radio option of hiding that field from being visible just like the way it has been with email on xoops.

How can i go about it, either in XOOPS or module profile?

I have been testing the profile on 2.3.1 for more than a week now but i just cant figure out the answer.

Please help (Didnt see anything on website's search tool)

Cheerz
Xoops is immortal.

DarinAllan
Re: How to hide profile field

I guess pre the profile module we couldn't adjust permissions on the fields, well not easily, I spose, now with the profiles module you can adjust permissions so that only certain groups and members can see each field.

From memory the admin used to be able to see all fields, which is how it should be I feel, you need to adjust the permissions of the fields, if you have a field surely someone must be able to see it or why have it. If you only want admin to see it set the permissions accordingly. I agree that having anonymous see the "Tel" field probably wouldn't be good in some instances, for a business it would be necessary, but not for just normal community site.

Profile Permissions

Anyway maybe I have misunderstood you but setting the permissions is probably the easy way!

;o)

bumpeboy
  • 2008/10/22 18:43

• bumpeboy

• Friend of XOOPS

Hi DarinAllan,
Thanks for your quality reply.

You got it right, mine is a community site and i will need mobile numbers for the business side of the site to function properly, however people value contact details like address,email,tel e.t.c differently. While for some like business associates will be please to expose there contacts some individuals might prefer to show email but hide Tel.
For that reason i want the account holder to have the option of either letting the Tel field be visible or hidden as it is with email.

I can create the fields on the profile module and set the appropriate permissions but am hindered by that hiding capability its not included on profile module. Its the same codes used on the XOOPS email field but i just dont know how i can recopy/code it.

Calling for help.
Xoops is immortal.

DarinAllan

I see what you want and agree it would be the easiest, but you could make a "Business" group for example, and add those who want to "advertise" their details to the world to that group. Then adjust permissions for that field. Those who don't want to put an entry in to a certain field don't have to it will just be blank. You could make multiple Groups, yes, more time consuming but would give you great control.

You can add members to more than one group still, well I think you can, make fields visible to only certain groups and searchable only by certain groups. You would have to make a plan on paper first though lol, could get confusing.

;o)

bumpeboy
  • 2008/10/22 20:37

• bumpeboy

• Friend of XOOPS

Quote:
You would have to make a plan on paper first though lol, could get confusing.

Thats what the plan on the paper suggested that there ought to be that kind of field. I installed XOOPS when it was still 2.3.0 and have been working on the paper plan until i upgraded to 2.3.1 and still the site aint open. LOL seems like i will have to forget that field.
Xoops is immortal.

Login

Who's Online

178 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 178

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits