sailjapan
moving data from a 2.0.13.2 db to a 2.3 db

Ok, imagine this:
I have been running a XOOPS 2.0.13.2 site successfully for several years. I have backups of all the files and DBs.
I tried to upgrade to 2.3, and then again to 2.3.1RC, but things just aren't working right (too many and various to list here, just take a look at my recent forum topics).
I've decided that what I might like to do is make a fresh install of xoops2.3 plus latest versions of the modules I've been using, and then try and move my data over from one of my 2.0.13.2 backups.
Of course, the backed-up db will be missing some fields, so I won't be able to do a simple restore type upload (with CPanel for example).
I'm going to have to find all the important data from the back up and manually put it in the newly created (2.3 native) db.
Question:
1. Am I over complicating things (not seeing a simpler way of doing things)?
2. If this is a feasible task, how would I go about moving the data between databases?
3. What would I have to be especially careful about to make this work?

I should add that I'm a complete novice when it comes to anything greater than creating databases. I do have access to myPhPAdmin, which I presume will be the tool I'll be using.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

Mamba
Re: moving data from a 2.0.13.2 db to a 2.3 db
  • 2008/10/7 8:30

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Do you think, it would be possible for you to do following tests:

1) Re-install your original 2.0.13.2 site
2) Update it to 2.0.18.2
3) test, if it works properly
4) If yes, try to upgrade it to 2.3.1
5) Test again if it works.

The reason I'm asking is that we've updated the XOOPS Website from 2.0.18.2 without any major problems.

So I'm curious if the problems that you had are more related to:
a) upgrade from 2.0.13.2 to 2.3.x or
b) your modules/configuration

If your upgrade to 2.0.18.2 works perfectly, then obviously there is a problem in upgrading from 2.0.18.2 to 2.3.x.

But if not, it might be that there are some problems on the way from 2.0.13.2 to 2.0.18.2, and it might have nothing to do with 2.3.x.

We're just trying to narrow the issues. Thanks!
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Anonymous
  • 2008/10/7 8:39

• Anonymous

• Since:

I did this myself a while back when I rebuilt my site.

I exported the db tables from the db on a module-by-module basis and imported the tables one a module was installed. This won't be a problem for you.

What might be a problem will be "core" tables like user data, comments (each module has a "number" and comments are linked to the modules' number - I edited the module numbers to match the other installation and all worked well), etc. You will need to look at the db tables for these to see if they've changed (or ask a dev, e.g. phppp or marco).

However, if I were in your place I'd do what you propose. I nearly did at one point until advice was received about making the upgrade work

But I'm not you...... try Mamba's way first

phppp
  • 2008/10/7 9:11

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

The procedure under __ideal__ conditions:
#1: Upload XOOPS 2.3.0 package
#2: Install XOOPS 2.3.0
#3: Prepare a copy of XOOPS 2.0.13 DB, for say xoops2013
#4: Upload XOOPS 2.0.13 module files onto XOOPS 2.3.0 (excluding "system", "pm", "profile")
#5: Modify mainfile.php with:
define('XOOPS_DB_PREFIX', 'xoops');
define('XOOPS_DB_NAME', 'xoops2013');
#6: Run upgrade scripts

sailjapan

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll try both ways (DJ's and Mamba's) in case anything interesting crops up. Will report back soon-ish. If all else fails, I'll be PMing you, John, for a quick rundown on isolating tables

Now, better put the kettle on...
Never let a man who does not believe something can be done, talk to a man that is doing it.

irmtfan
  • 2008/10/7 14:48

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

im following the DJ's way for updating a 2.0.13 website. everything was well just i have some problems with smartfaq module.

sailjapan

Just to confirm I understand, DJ, when you say "#6: Run upgrade scripts" you mean the ones meant for 2.0.13 to 2.3, right? Not the module updates...

Or do you mean upload 2.3 then (from the readme)"Access the folder where you installed the htdocs/ files using your web browser to launch the installation wizard", then swap db and modify mainfile.php then run the XOOPS upgrade scripts from the "root/upgrade" folder...?

sailjapan

Well, I tried DJ's way and couldn't get any further than a white page with the following error:
mytextsanitizer::maketboxdata4show is deprecated in file /class/module.textsanitizer.php line 619
on the client side.

Admin side seems to be working fine, and I have confirmed the presence of all my data.

little by little, I'm getting there.

Anyone know what that error means?

In the meantime I'll go and try Mamba's way on a different account

Marco
  • 2008/10/9 4:11

• Marco

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/15

this error message is informative, this has no impact
it just says some modules make use of an old function, replaced by a new one.

you still have a blank page?
Do synergy or die.

sailjapan

yup. wondering if there's anything I've forgotten to bring over from my original site's back up...

Login

Who's Online

253 user(s) are online (164 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 253

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits