newbb violation of cpu resources
  • 2008/9/4 9:12

• young

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/1/16

Today i received an email from my webhosting provider

Quote:

TITLE: [ABUSE #XOX-135044]: AUP Violation : CPU Resource Abuse on yoursite.com

Kindly be informed that your domain 'yoursite.com/community/modules/newbb' has been found overloading the CPU Resources on the server. We hereby attached a screen shot of your domain CPU usage for your references. For your information, the maximum allowed CPU consumption domain is 100Mhz, which is 3.34% of the total CPU resource.

Currently the folder for newbb has been change ownership so that it wont continue on overloading the server.

Your kind co-operation in this matter is highly appreciated. Please do contact us if you need further details.

You may refer to the URL below on SHARED SERVER RESOURCE ABUSE policy set by our company
http://www.exabytes.com.my/about/legal/aup/#H-resource

It is recommended for you to subscribe to our Linux Semi Dedicated Server
http://www.exabytes.com.my/products/semi-dedicated/linux.html

If you have any enquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us. Thank You.

Resized Image

i have to disable the forum or pay more for a higher hosting package or else my hosting account will be suspended.

Anonymous
Re: newbb violation of cpu resources
  • 2008/9/4 9:48

• Anonymous

• Since:

Hi,

I'm wondering if you have a virus/trojan in the your webspace. Any idea when this forst started and is there anything in the server logs regarding an unexplained upload?

Check the following directories (and subdirectories) for unusual/unexpected files:

xoops_root/cache
xoops_root/templates_c
xoops_root/uploads

What version od newbb/cbb are you using, which XOOPS version and which php version?

Also, do you have Protector installed.

young
  • 2008/9/4 9:58

• young

• Just popping in

JAVesey, thanks for your respond.

i will check the directories later.

i just upgraded to 2.0.18.2, newbb1.16, protector 3.17

phppp
  • 2008/9/4 10:03

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Some considerations:
search engine spiders
PDF creator

young
  • 2008/9/4 11:14

• young

• Just popping in

i found this in the protector log. any idea?

Resized Image

ghia
  • 2008/9/4 12:47

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Your site is under attack from malbots, which want to post spam in your forum. (spampoints are links)
Look up their IP addresses (eg 84.110.198.4) with whois and block their NET (84.110.192.0 - 84.110.207.255 = 84.110.192.0/20) in .htaccess via your site admin panel.
Provide a html error file for 403 (forbidden) with 0 bytes.
This way your traffic will reduce and Protector won't be bothered so your cpu usage will drop as well.

Look also in the raw logs of your site and select IP's with many POST requests in a short time for elimination too by .htaccess .

young
  • 2008/9/5 3:35

• young

• Just popping in

thanks for all your advice.

i just feel that the hosting package that offered with 300GB of disk space, 300GB of monthly data transfer is just a fantacy for marketing of their products (for what i paid for this package really a great deals) but not a reality because of limited resources set by their company.http://www.exabytes.com.my/about/legal/aup/#H-resource

i do understand that its in a share hosting environment that need to take care of others domain hosted in the same server.. i only found this problem when my community is growing. but with this limited resources there are no way to fully utlize on what their offered to their client.

any recommended hosting that for xoops? and im targeting for 2000-3000 visitor a day.

ghia
  • 2008/9/5 6:53

• ghia

They are cranking in 300 users per server. So, it's no wonder they need a very strict policy on the use. For 80 euro, it seems a fair deal, but if you see the price of the next option which is nearly 10 fold, then you should be worried. I think they like only static html pages and no scripts at all.

I'm with alfahosting.be, but for rather small visitor numbers, so I can't tell you if your site would be problematic, but I think not. They do have 'unlimited' bandwidth for a comparable price as yours.

Anonymous
  • 2008/9/5 8:08

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
young wrote:

i found this in the protector log. any idea?

A lot of use from a few IP addresses. Use protector to ban the lot and see if anyone "sqeaks"

I've never had anyone try to spam via cbb. One thought - do you allow anonymous postings/comments/reporting in cbb?

ghia
  • 2008/9/5 8:29

• ghia

Quote:
Use protector to ban the lot
I think it's better to do it directly from Apache with .htaccess .
This way you don't loose processing power on Protector to analyze the request and checking for the IP's.
Also you prevent that malicious requests could destabilize Protector or XOOPS.

Login

Who's Online

161 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 161

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits