Koeneke
plugin or new module?
  • 2008/4/1 20:54

• Koeneke

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/1/30

Dear,

I want to add some functionality to the PiCal module.

Because I'm quite new in XOOPS development, I need some help to get me starting.

I want to add a kind of "I'm going/I'm not going" thing to the calendar module...

Because I don't know what a "plugin" is used for, I don't know if (and how) I should make a plugin, or that I have to rewrite the module to get what I want.

Can somebody explain me what a plugin is, and if I should consider to make one, or rewrite the module...

I hope you understand my question...

Thanks in advance,
Koeneke

jcweb
Re: plugin or new module?
  • 2008/4/1 21:04

• jcweb

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/4/25

Hi Koeneke

I want to add a kind of "I'm going/I'm not going" thing to the calendar module...

Did you mean like "I´m coming to an event or not?

Why you did post on the developer website here? My meaning there you find the source of knowledge to the piCal module. Or did you try there and no one answer? Did you search the piCal folder and there the plugin directory? In this case (piCal) a plugin is a more or less a interface to antoher module, example the minikalender can show an entry of this module like a new article from the news module.

andy

Koeneke
  • 2008/4/2 15:42

• Koeneke

• Just popping in

Well,

I posted it here in the first place because I did not knew what the "plugins" were used for... but now you told me they are used for interaction between two modules...
that helps me a lot: now I know that I don't have make a plugin, but that I have to rewrite the module.

I have posted a thread on the Peak website, to know where I should start my development.

Thanks for the information!

beeblebrox
  • 2008/4/2 15:52

• beeblebrox

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/4/2 1

You need to hack the module.

Anonymous
  • 2008/4/2 16:03

• Anonymous

• Since:

"who's going/not going" feature has been added to eXtCal module ( www.zoullou.net ), you can check this module and try to understand how to add same feature to piCal.

Anonymous
  • 2008/4/2 16:21

• Anonymous

• Since:

Yep.... the 2.0.x versions (2.0.4 is latest) of ExtCal have had this for a while. It's one of the features that made me choose this module over PiCal.

That's always the case with modules..... one person will want the features of one module whereas another module will suit someone else.

If you're starting from scratch with a site then ExtCal is worth a look, particularly since there's a new version under active development with event more features.

Koeneke
  • 2008/4/2 18:08

• Koeneke

• Just popping in

Well,

it's the Extcal module that brought me to this idea...
I first used Extcal, but I had some problems with this I'm going/I'm not going function, that I decided to choose for Pical...
I would rather use a module that has less function but working fine, then a module that has more functions but having problems with them...

Does anyone knows if Extcal still has problems with this particular function?
And is it quite easy to "migrate" from piCal to Extcal? Because I have quite a lot of entries in the calendar, and I don't want to put them in again...

Greetings,
Koeneke

Anonymous
  • 2008/4/2 18:44

• Anonymous

• Since:

My experience of ExtCal 2.0.4 on php5 is entirely positive.

Certainly, the "Who's Going" feature works perfectly and has done since v2.0.2 (that's as far back as my experience goes!).

As for migration........ dunno. I can't remember what PiCal's db table structure is; can you install extcal and compare?

phppp
  • 2008/4/3 2:28

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

How to contribute to a module:

1 Choose a most "suitable" module from a couple of candidates
2 Configure the module to fit your requirements: setting preferences, modifying templates
4 Talk to module author to get advice: either waiting for next release or making your own hacks (Step #5)
5 Make modifications on business layer or database constructure if configuration is not able to satisfy you
6 Submit your modifications/hacks to original author
7 If the author accepts your hacks, congratulations! You get someone maintaining the code for you.
8 Otherwise, unfortunately you have to create a new module and to maintain it. However, now you become a module developer!

Login

Who's Online

221 user(s) are online (162 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 221

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits