Kieran
Iframes: can I exlude page header & side columns?
  • 2007/9/25 6:03

• Kieran

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/7/12

Hi there,

Is it possible to show only the central column of a page?

I need to do this because I want to offer my content to other websites, allowing them to use my content through the use of iframes.

But for this to work the included page must only show the article in the middle of the page (and exclude the side bars and the header and the footer).

Does anybody know if this is possible in xoops

Thanks for any help!

Will_H
Re: Iframes: can I exlude page header & side columns?
  • 2007/9/25 14:31

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

Why don't you just use RSS?

jeffgr
  • 2007/9/25 14:43

• jeffgr

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/2/22

I just made a tutorial about this on my site. There are advantages, and disadvantages to this method...it may or may not be a suitable solution for you, depending on your end audience.

Xoops in an <iframe> demo

Cheers,

jeffgr

Kieran
  • 2007/9/26 8:47

• Kieran

• Just popping in

Thanks a lot!

The tutorial is great, but am I right in thinking that it will only work on modules that use the simplified theme?

I want to use iframes to show my news stories on other websites but they still need to be displayed on my site as well. So for that module I still need to use my site-wide theme.

Does that mean this solution won't work?

I'm probably being thick but how would I work the RSS feeds solution?

Thanks again

jeffgr
  • 2007/9/26 11:47

• jeffgr

• Quite a regular

Hi Keiran,

Yes, you are correct...if you need to use your regular theme on that module, then this solution won't work...this solution is really only suitable for using XOOPS as a completely hidden content management system.

There may be another way to do what you what to do however...anyone?

Regarding RSS, yes, this is another way that it could be done. If you use a module like SmartSection to publish your articles, it will give you RSS feeds for each category that you create.If you include a link back to your URL in each article, it will ensure that you get a link back to your site posted on the final web site, where the feed is displayed.

Kieran
  • 2007/9/27 9:12

• Kieran

• Just popping in

Hi Jeff

Would it be possible to do it this way or am I way off the mark?

Install smartsection a second time (but rename it - which is easy to do with this module). Let's say I call this second version smartsection2. I would then go through all the relevant files to find and replace the new module name (smartsection2) with the original module name (smartsection). Thus smartsection2 would also be accessing the smartsection tables where all my articles are kept but I would use the theme changer on this new module to display it without the sides/header/footer.

Would this work or is totally not possible?

Cheers

jeffgr
  • 2007/9/27 13:18

• jeffgr

• Quite a regular

That sounds like a good idea actually..it just might work!

Let us know how it works out, and if you have any difficulties in the cloning process. It does sound like it would work in principle though.

Kieran
  • 2007/9/28 10:32

• Kieran

• Just popping in

Hi there

It works! But there is one problem I can't get theme changer to work. Its installed and seems to be ok, I can edit the theme change that I want to make, theme changer tells me its gone ok but when I go to the module its still displaying as my site-wide theme

I wonder, am I missing something obvious for making theme changer work? There is a read me file but it is in Japanese!!!

script_fu

Could you please post XOOPS version & debug info for the theme changer module. Also could you post your php version and theme changer module version...

Good topic...

Seems to me you will need to put your content in twice. Once in smartsection then duplacate in the clone?

Im not to sure google will like this! If in fact this is what you intend to do.

Kieran
  • 2007/9/29 6:37

• Kieran

• Just popping in

I'm running XOOPS 2.0.16, the debug returned no errors on theme changer.

I'm php 4.3.11 and its theme changer 2.6

My new smartsection module (lets call it smartsection2) displays all the articles from the original smartsection perfectly. My approach is probably pretty clumsy though. Here's what i did: I cloned the module, called it smartsection2, installed it but then replaced the files item.php, footer.php and header.php with the ones from the original smartsection module.

This means that the new module now can display the original articles which is all I want. Of course it means that the rest of the module doesn't work, I can't visit the index page for example because I've changed the header and footer but for my purpose that doesn't matter - I just wanna be able to display the articles in a second module so that I can change the theme of that module so that it has only the central content, allowing it to be displayed on other websites via the use of iframes (with me???)

I need to access the original articles rather than duplicate because articles are constantly being amended/added.

I think (!!!!) I'll be ok in terms of Google and duplication because the sites that display my content will do so via a search feature which I think I'm right in saying Google's bot won't follow - so it will never find these copies of the articles

If anybody is still with me at this point, thanks a lot for paying attention

Having explained all that I think the problem is with theme changer because as I said the articles display fine in the cloned module and if I change the theme via the site-wide control I get the exact effect I'm looking for.

Any ideas??

Thanks again!

Login

Who's Online

252 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 252

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits