hervet
Migrating definitively to Php 5
  • 2007/7/8 9:25

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/11/4

Hello,

Two days ago I was talking with Pemen and we have discussed of Php5.

It's a fact that the Php team will soon (this year) stop any development on Php 4.

Some projects (like Drupal, Typo 3, phpMyadmin) have decided to join the goPHP5 movement :
http://gophp5.org/

We (pemen and me) think that it will be a very good opportunity for Xoops.

What did the new team(s) decided ?

Bye,
Hervé

________
Mod 3 title adjustment for current conversation attention - post #50
Mod 3 title replacement back to original - post #50 solved.

vaughan
Re: Moving to Php5 definitively
  • 2007/7/8 9:34

• vaughan

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/26

whilst i think php5 is the way forward and will actually enhance XOOPS further if it can utilise PHP5 fully.

I still think that for now it should still be PHP4 backward compatible. The main reason is that there are still many hosts outthere who don't have PHP5 installed default, and a non default installation of PHP5 on some servers has a few limitations which can vary)

It would be bad to discount php4 entirely as we are then forcing users who want to use XOOPS to have to purchase a hosting plan that has php 5, and they wouldn't want to be buying a new plan if they have say 5 sites located on a PHP4 server. in effect we would be limiting usage.

I would suggest holding off of purely php5 code in the core till at least the 1st/2nd quarter of next year. But i am not against having PHP 5 enabled functions in the core as long as there is some kind of mechanism that a user could choose whether he wants a PHP 4 installation (if they can't use PHP 5)

I have no problems at all with modules being developed solely for PHP5 as that's the developers choice & I agree PHP5 is far better and optimized than php 4.

I would start with modules beforehand and then later introduce PHP5 only functions to the core, or maybe a seperate PHP 5 kernel & class system that can be switched on/off by the user.

Peekay
  • 2007/7/8 13:05

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

I appreciate the desire to embrace progress, but as Vaughan points out, there are some user-centric issues to consider before developers force the latest version of PHP or MySQL on anyone.

I think it is a particular problem for people in my situation who are running live sites on a VPS. Most VPS operators are freelance designers or small web design businesses. I suspect few have the luxury of an experienced server technician on the payroll. I CAN upgrade PHP and MySQL myself, but it's a daunting shell-access task not to be undertaken lightly. My VPS provider doesn't offer an upgrade service and when I asked about support they literally said 'you're on your own'.

A more significant issue is that I cannot afford to lose the dozens of customers that rely on PHP 4 applications just because I want to make one product work a little faster. The benefits of PHP 5 don't out-weigh the fact that sticking with PHP 4 is easier, cheaper and more profitable.

I do however think there is a gap in the market for a third-party PHP and MySQL upgrade service for VPS owners. I would consider using such as service if it was guaranteed (i.e. the person performing the upgrade will not 'give up' if something goes wrong and leave you with a dead server.)
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

hervet
  • 2007/7/8 13:33

• hervet

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/11/4

Quote:

Peekay wrote:
My VPS provider doesn't offer an upgrade service and when I asked about support they literally said 'you're on your own'.

Tell them goodbye
That's all except professional !

If you don't do it (the change to Php5), then do it for your customers, just in regards of security matters....

MadFish
  • 2007/7/8 13:40

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Definitely need to prepare XOOPS for php 5 - we are starting to see some hosting providers upgrade already. I suspect you'll see a fairly big shift towards 5 when 6 arrives.

One advantage of VPS: You can stick to 4, if you want to! If your provider is uncooperative, suggest you try Futurehosting.biz.

davidl2
  • 2007/7/8 13:41

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

I've recently moved all my own sites to Php5.

MadFish
  • 2007/7/8 14:10

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

Did you find any problem / thing that needed to be adjusted in standard XOOPS install or common modules? Just curious. I have the option to upgrade my VPS to PHP 5 but for the moment I am treating it like a bomb that might go off :)

Peekay
  • 2007/7/8 14:13

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Quote:

MadFish wrote:
I have the option to upgrade my VPS to PHP 5

Will your provider do that for you?. I agree with Herve, I was surprised that mine doesn't offer a service.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

MadFish
  • 2007/7/8 14:21

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

I haven't actually asked them to do that yet, however I have asked them to install a few other things and they have always done it straight away with no problems (I am renting a managed VPS from them).

You get a fair bit of control of what versions of things you run, and also whether you want to run latest releases, stable versions, or even older (conservative) versions. I think I can even upgrade to version 5 my self (need to check to be sure), but as I am not sure of the implications for the modules I run, I have resisted temptation thus far.

jdseymour

I currently run on a Xen VPS, I have no restrictions on versions I can run. I upgraded my own VPS to php5, MySQL 5.0, and apache 2.2 ages ago. No troubles ever, and now I always stay with the latest stable versions (no betas on my live server).

Login

Who's Online

206 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 206

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits