• Since: 2005/8/27

Does anyone really have any idea?

davidl2
Re: How to clone News 1.44 module?
  • 2007/4/16 12:49

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Alternatively you could import your news into SmartSection or Article - which can be cloned...

RoMeO
  • 2007/4/17 11:28

• RoMeO

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/8/27

thanks for advice.
I do it. :)

davidl2
  • 2007/4/17 12:55

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

No problem - hope it goes well

DobePhat
  • 2007/4/17 13:49

• DobePhat

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/15

Hi, Im just curious, because maybe I dont understand.

-Why would you want to clone a news module?

Cant you create various topics with subtopics in the one news module? Aren't there topic blocks you can pull from each topic and various spotlight features available?

Do you plan on having a very large site with completely different subject topics (why not just two different sites then?)

I'm sincerely asking, I reason for instance, you may want to use a news module and a simple article or soapbox module in addition..but 2 news modules?

What would be the advantage of this pursuit?
Im fianlly asking because Ive never understood why so many different news/article modules came out (dont get me wrong we currently use 3 different great ones too). But each has a distinguishable trait. ie: soapbox we use for columns...News we use for well.. news...

Thanks.

UPDATE
ohhhhh-upon visiting your site..I see you have the workings of a rather large news portal? Yes go with davids suggestion as easy solution.

But still curious as too some advantages..

davidl2
  • 2007/4/17 14:04

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

That's one reason I like modules that allow lots of different presentation - like the original "Magazine" (WF-Section based) module - and also SmartSection - as it allows, with a little piece of Multi-menuing, one module to handle different content types.

(Just wish SmartSection had the block on/off control of Magazine.. but cant have everything )

Article (Phppp's module) also allows some flexibility in this as well... and both his module and SmartSection has tag support of course ... which is one thing I wish News had added.

paulizaz
  • 2007/4/17 15:31

• paulizaz

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2007/1/18

As we seem to be posting pointless questions I have one myself, honestly, and simply out of a long term curiosity for comments which dont answer the questions.

DobePhat why do you question something to be so strange you do yourself?

I would have thought Dinstinguishable traits or large portals is an obvious assumption from the original question... especially for you because its a reason you do it, but that doesnt really matter.

Perhaps your reason is an interesting insight into the mind of an Online knowledgable contributor, which often baffle me...

DobePhat
  • 2007/4/17 22:00

• DobePhat

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/15

uhm hi paulizaz.Resized Image
I think you misunderstood my actual sincerity, because of some of the bitterness of late.

I was just wondering why duplicate the news module?
When if you are looking to target something say topics...you simply create a new topic?

If its a different feature entirely, such as an editorial column or a review module with different features...then..you try one of those I suppose.

I did NOT mean to sound antagonistic, really, rather just trying to save the poor fella some uneeded work.( And wondering)

Quote:
..why do you question something to be so strange you do yourself?

You misunderstand, I dont have a "clone" of the 'news' module it's quite a robust module, especially the latest which we haven't updated on our hosted site but played with locally.

Im just asking myself, and the community,should I(we) be cloning the news module? "Am I Doing things the hard way"
What are the benefits and disadvantages of taking such an action? Is it block management?etc.

Im genuinely interested in both perspectives, mainly because over time our site has grown exponentially. So its hard to keep up ya know? Also keeping an eye out for solutions..there are so many.

Sorry perhaps should have been another topic but I thought it was related.

Sounds like I should just do some more experimentation like david-away has done. It'd be great if we mixed the most requested features into the main news module..hmm tag support...

-cheerz

nachenko
  • 2007/4/25 8:21

• nachenko

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/1/18

I'd also like to clone News module. Reasons are pretty simple:
News can't accept different templates for different categories, but other than that it's pretty fool-proof and works great. The site i'm working on is going to be maintained by "tech-neglected" people. Smartsection should be the answer, but is too complicated for them.

Login

Who's Online

243 user(s) are online (172 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 1

Guests: 242

Mamba,

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!