demonica
site up, finesse needed!
  • 2007/3/12 2:20

• demonica

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/1/19

I am very proud of the fact that I went from zero to a site in under 60 days that is more or less what I had envisioned... with only HTML knowledge, no coding, and no CMS experience.

But now I want more.

Here is what I have:

http://www.theinsidepoop.org

I cloned the news module block to create the different topics, using a tutorial on this site. I edited my template to get the topic headers. The spotlight feature works well to highlight the top story, but

a) orange text... not so much.

b) I'd like to make the headlines of the other stories bold and color too to help people see them.

I am not sure where to modify the template - through blocks? - or what part to modify to make these tweaks.

jeffgr
Re: site up, finesse needed!
  • 2007/3/12 2:26

• jeffgr

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/2/22

to change the appearance of any text on the site, you have to edit the style.css file, which is located in the folder of whatever theme you are using.

You can also edit the theme.html file in this same folder to hard-code certain things into the site, if needed such as top level navigation links.

You can use Dreamweaver to open up and change these files, and then re-upload them to the server. Just download a free 30 day trial if you don't already have it.

Nice site btw, especially for a first site!

Jeff

demonica
  • 2007/3/12 2:56

• demonica

• Just popping in

Quote:

jeffgr wrote:
to change the appearance of any text on the site, you have to edit the style.css file, which is located in the folder of whatever theme you are using.

I did edit the theme to get the headings on the sections (using Dreamweaver). It is the headlines within the news module that I have gotten stuck on.

I will look into the style.css file to see if I can figure out what controls the headlines.

I like the XOOPS format because it prevents me from trying to be too much of a designer so I can focus on content & community. Still, where design fosters usability, that's critical!

Thanks, Jeff.

Anonymous
  • 2007/3/12 9:17

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
demonica wrote:

I did edit the theme to get the headings on the sections (using Dreamweaver). It is the headlines within the news module that I have gotten stuck on.

Yeah - that horrible organge text bugged me, too

Assuming that you're using News 1.53 then the orange colour is hard-coded into the template.

You need to edit line 914 of news_block_top.html in your news/templates/blocks directory. It's the colour of the smarty code <{$block.spotlight.title}> that you need to set.

Mine looks like this:

<font color="#000099"><b><{$block.spotlight.title}></b></font> <{$block.spotlight.author}>

HTH

[Edit]Intersting site, btw - cool stuff

demonica
  • 2007/3/18 2:12

• demonica

• Just popping in

John V,

Your response made sense - I changed the color - in every single news block...

and there it still is! That orange!

I thought perhaps my difficulty controlling it has to do with the fact that I have cloned the block - is there some ubercontroller template for the news module that is overriding my changes?

The funny thing is, I do love orange, just not in this particular instance!

Anonymous
  • 2007/3/18 8:52

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
demonica wrote:

Your response made sense - I changed the color - in every single news block...

and there it still is! That orange!

Probably a stupid question, but did you enable "Check for template updates" in Admin>>Preferences ?

demonica
  • 2007/3/18 13:46

• demonica

• Just popping in

John V, yes, I did do turn updating on. However, I have orange, I mean green, on my face.

Although I cleared my history and refreshed my browser, apparently the pages were not updating.

This morning my headings came up... green!!!!

The key seems to have been editing all the cloned blocks the same way.

Now on to the next problem, changing the heading of the other articles in the topic. But now I have faith that editing the template will produce results!

Login

Who's Online

190 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 190

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits