oldenough
Time to get rid of tables?
  • 2007/2/20 10:58

• oldenough

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/12/11

Perhaps the time has come, also for Xoops, to get rid of old design concepts and only use CSS for all design?

This will make XOOPS a lot more scalable and useable. Myabe the work has started?

davidl2
Re: Time to get rid of tables?
  • 2007/2/20 11:08

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Check Snow's Morthogenis (Sorry - my spelling is terrible today!) and kris_fr who has done variations of this recently.

Switching from html to css isn't easy ... but its do-abble...

However, more of a challenge is changing module templates to use css instead of pure html

wizanda
  • 2007/2/20 11:46

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

True

Me been playing lately with my themes and went on a stripping Wizanda naked the other night

Removing all tables and replacing them with div's, already i did that with all the blocks showing...also i placed them into a .js files for caching.
Yet Div'ing everything is far quicker to render, only problem is that certain framework exists to hold it all in place, so I have kept a few tables…..easier to contain items for resizing, as our site does…
yet most people probably could go on a stripping mission like i did and replace Tables with div and then any secondary items...and change existing theme around to load much quicker.

MadFish
  • 2007/2/20 11:54

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

I've been playing around with divs and css lately too...and it's amazing how much html you can get rid of with careful careful use of CSS.

Personally I think the old default theme also has too many styles and gunk in it. Would be great if it could be simplified (but I guess that would break a lot of old themes etc).

All for getting rid of tables, I've a Seen Da Light :)

Login

Who's Online

277 user(s) are online (206 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 277

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits