wpdesign
Popscript.com illegally selling more than just Xoops?
  • 2006/12/8 14:17

• wpdesign

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/12/5

I went looking through popscript.com and came across some other shady dealings they have going on. First off, I do want to make note that I think PHPMySpace Gold violates the GPL in a huge way, as many of the things they used to create the system were not theirs to begin with, and the original creators are given no compensation.

Anyway, take a look at other products they are "selling"

PHPIzabi, created by a completely different company, allows their product to be used for free. Its a dating-oriented CMS. Not much to be impressed with, but still something good for those starting out.

Popscript is selling PHPIzabi for $1...granted, its cheap, but its still selling it. But that isn't what bothers me. What bothers me is that they went into the script and changed the copyright and everything to be under their name, like they created it.

Popscript.com selling PHPIzabi

PHPIzabi

Also, check out some of the other things...I see atleast 4 other script I KNOW they had no help in the creation of that they are selling. I have an honestly sick feeling that these guys may not be selling anything original.

And for the phpmyspace gold woes, I did contact them via email because I signed up for the modules subscription on phpmyspacegold.com. After I got my account set up (took them a week, god knows why...we all use xoops, adding a person to a group can't be that hard) I emailed them, asking if these modules were from xoops/exoops and if I could integrate modules back and forth. I got a pissy email response about how PHPMySpace Gold isn't xoops, nor does XOOPS have anything to do with PHPMySpace Gold. After returning a response that showed some source code (and anyone that knows about this situation knows its shimmering with just the WORD "xoops" everywhere) I got no response anymore, and now my account is locked out on their site.

Anyone else have proof of the other scripts they are selling not being theirs?

Herko
Re: Popscript.com illegally selling more than just Xoops?
  • 2006/12/8 14:38

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

We suspected as much. PHPMySpace GOld is based on eXOOPS code, a long time ago. We are taking legal action to stop them from violating the GPL, but there isn't much more we can do.

Herko

wpdesign
  • 2006/12/8 14:41

• wpdesign

• Just popping in

I know you guys are taking action against them on this level, I just figure this could be leverage to show even more of what they are doing, outside of Xoops. That way, other companies can be informed if popscript is stealing from them too.

davidl2
  • 2006/12/8 15:10

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Thanks for the input on this. It's certainly appreciated.

tom
  • 2006/12/8 18:52

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

Herko is this same one I mentioned either earlier this year or last year. Or is this another company trying to to pull it off as their own?

Just wondering?

Also how are are you guys getting leagally on this one?
Kind Regards.
Tom

http://bassmanthemes.com
http://www.xoopslance.com

tom
  • 2006/12/8 19:38

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

You know I just found my old post and realise I was shot down in flames, and it wasn't in a nice way, for mentioning this site, by a number of people, and accused of not reading the GPL code, although it seems there was a violation.

Let me link you:

New low for scammers - My first XOOPS post regarding this script. has something changed since my post, that now makes it illegal?

Kind regards
Tom
Kind Regards.
Tom

http://bassmanthemes.com
http://www.xoopslance.com

Herko
  • 2006/12/8 20:27

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

The illegal part is that they removed the copyright and license headers in the files and distribute them under their own license. It is not illegal to take the XOOPS code, alter it, and distribute it, that's alright if you do it under the terms of the GPL.

That's basically our legal beef with them. If they add the headers back into the files, add their own credits for all their own work, and distribute the work under the GPL license (they can charge people for the software just fine), then everything is ok.

Herko

wpdesign
  • 2006/12/11 14:07

• wpdesign

• Just popping in

I honestly think that if they are using other peoples modules, and this script, and SELLING it...there should be a very big display of credits somewhere, and they should state who did all the things there. Then again, another way to deal with this is to disallow the selling of XOOPS scripts or any modules without direct consent from the creators.

Herko
  • 2006/12/11 14:32

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

Quote:

wpdesign wrote:
I honestly think that if they are using other peoples modules, and this script, and SELLING it...there should be a very big display of credits somewhere, and they should state who did all the things there.

I agree that it would be nice. But it's not mandatory at all.

Quote:
Then again, another way to deal with this is to disallow the selling of XOOPS scripts or any modules without direct consent from the creators.

That is a direct violation of the GPL in itself. You cannot restrict what other people do with the code you've written, as long as they don't put any restrictions on their derivate works either. That's how the GPL works.

Anyone can sell XOOPS code. But they cannot retrict anyone who bought the code from releasing that very same code for free. this makes selling the code itself a shaky business model to begin with.
Better is to sell the services of development, design, customisation, support, training, hosting etc. Much safer bet, that is.

Herko

preachur
  • 2007/5/30 18:45

• preachur

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2006/2/4 4

I checked out a nulled version of phpfox konsort just to look at the code. Costs 300.00 if you buy it. Although it's heavily modified, the core is all XOOPS without any credit back to Xoops.

It's more XOOPS than the "myspace gold," which is now being sold by several people online now.

I grabbed a torrent of "myspace gold" to look at. It's definitely not a safe script. I feel sorry for anyone who buys that buggy unsecured piece-o-doo-doo.
Magick can never be restrained, but when freely given is thrice regained!

Login

Who's Online

162 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 162

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits