jordi_rc
To upgrade or not to upgrade
  • 2006/12/5 21:46

• jordi_rc

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/8/21

Hello

I have my XOOPS site almost builded. I use XOOPS 2.0.15.

I need a very customized site, so I changed many things.
I used photo+profiles hack by m0nty, a hack of mine to display the groups in user profiles, new lines at user menu, and new buttons and fields in user profile.

So now upgrading is a pain.

What solution do I have? Do I need to upgrade? What do people usually do? If I upgrade I will overwrite many changes that I did. Some are not to hard to repeat, but others are a pain.

Thanks again

Jordi
"Battles are fought by those with the courage to believe. They are won by those who find the heart to share." -MANOWAR

vaughan
Re: To upgrade or not to upgrade
  • 2006/12/5 22:03

• vaughan

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/26

i would always pesonally recommend to update to the latest version.

although i do understand that when using hacks it is not always as straightforward as it could be.

i know i have stated that i will not be continuing my photo + profiles, the hack itself is not that difficult (although it is time consuming and does require at least a little knowledge & understanding).

If you can avoid using hacks it is always better, but sometimes hacks can't be avoided in which case.. i must stress the necessity of backing up everything as often as is practicable. If you do need help in regard to using the profiles hack on 2.0.16 then i will help the best i can, but i can't afford to put too much time into it as a whole.

Tabasco
Re: To upgrade or not to upgrade
  • 2006/12/5 23:19

• Tabasco

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/12/26

Upgrades help to protect your web site from vulnerabilities.

There are groups out there that compete to see who is the best at taking down websites, and who can take down the most websites per day. They look for vulnerabilities through modules, php, etc.... Recently the Adsense module had a security hole, they simply google/search for that module and start taking sites down. Zone Hhttp://www.zone-h.org/ keeps records, one group was taking down 1000 websites a day.

It may be a pain to upgrade, but it's part of what you need to do to maintain your website. If you don't maintain it and keep it up to date, you'll lose it.

Even this site has been taken down a couple of times.

Login

Who's Online

207 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 207

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits