jeffgr
Xoops, outside of Xoops... how?
  • 2006/11/18 13:52

• jeffgr

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/2/22

How can I create a web site, using the back-end functionality of Xoops, but escaping the use of a site wide theme? What I want to do is create, say, a single web page that covers news from a certain area. I want to have complete control over where all the elements of the page appear...including both blocks and modules that are displayed on this page. I know that I can fool around with the theme and template files in order to do this, but then the other pages of the site would also have the same general appearance....(as controlled by the site-wide theme) how do I customize the appearance of the blocks and modules on every page? Can I create a new php page, and then insert code at certain places to say, put one particular block of a certain module in one place, and then, on another page, do the same thing, but in a different area of the page?

I have fooled around with Boox, but that doesn't seem to do what I want to do...or can it? Can I use Boox to call very particular blocks or modules, on a page per page basis?

Your thoughts /comments are appreciated!

Cheers,

Jeff

www.myottawa.ca

davidl2
Re: Xoops, outside of Xoops... how?
  • 2006/11/18 14:02

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

One of the best examples of doing something like this I've seen is your own site: www.Advermap.com

Do you mean something like this, but also including blocks etc?

jeffgr
  • 2006/11/18 14:21

• jeffgr

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/2/22

Well, with the advermap.com site, all I really did was create a regular web site with frames (top frame, side menu frame, and main content frame, all in one frameset) and then create hotspot links to the XOOPS content "underneath".

Imagine a new php page, where the page is actually composed of many boxes of <iframe>s, and in each <iframe> I am calling either a specific modules main index page data, or a block from that module.... so basically, I can put anthing you see on a regular XOOPS installation, anywhere I want on this page, and then again perhaps in a completely different configuration on another page. This is how you would do it with <iframe>s I guess...but how do I do it by creating a separate theme for each main page or module of the site?

Hope that makes sense!

wizanda
  • 2006/11/18 14:24

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

I am working on the idea, our site now has folding sides, logo and even main section....

Next is to make a fully div / CSS theme, with the option to select things you want to see....

That was the point of the Go module, it is a single page of html, multi, layered... so if we do that with a XOOPS theme, we have a multi-page books that uses blocks to display what is already loaded, yet is hidden untill shown...

When I get around to it will make some for everyone...as so borded of looking at boxes!

Yet feel free to borrow the Java script to fold, and then you just select any ID make something to click it and it will fold...

If they are floating also, which our own plan for the themes we want to make...then it really shall be a work of art in the making...

Unsure how much smarty's uses can be used to make diffrent colours or object appear for certain blocks?

As then this concept could move on to taking you through a virtual world...and it is easy already...just a little work to make a theme...

wizanda
  • 2006/11/18 14:32

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

Also on the note of frames only.... just read that whilest surfing today!!
Search engines might miss stuff in frames unless labeled correctly...
(don't ask me how to, forgot to read the rest and decided against even themes with second pages to load for side blocks)....

They are not needed if you use the fold option and given the time the Go module loads in, and the pages that are contained in the html...

Xoops system of smarty cache will make that faster and so there is more to be gained of a site that is loaded and just appears

It's more eye catching and intresting with float over and options like that available through CSS and not using tables as they just make a mess of your div's which can be layered for no w3c errors.

davidl2
  • 2006/11/18 14:39

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

It should be possible to arrange a multi-themed site.. there's at least one module about (sorry - i dont have them to hand ) to change theme per different module used... a Smarty variable could work with 2.0.16 to make different images within the same module in different areas - also Philou's imageurl module - which changes images based on the exact path being used...

So there are a number of ways it can be done.

Login

Who's Online

113 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 113

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits